Chapter Fifteen

❝fight (pronounced fʌɪt or fite), verb
quarrel or argue.❞

Elle heard a knock on the door and went to open it. Drew gave her a half-smile. "Hey."

"Come in, it's cold out there."

He did so, and she closed the door behind him. "You needed help with Chem?"

"Yeah, but we've gotta make dinner first. I'm making pizza dough, and Spence is gonna help."

Nita came and greeted Drew, who chuckled. "Hey, girl."

"Hi, Drew," said Phoenix quietly.

"Hey! How's that dragon thing going?"

"Nearly finished," said Phoenix, beginning to warm up to the conversation. "The metallic paints that Ma brought me look really good on the scales, so I'm nearly done now."

"That's awesome."

Robin walked in, holding Jelly. "Hi!"

"Hey, kiddo!"

"Why're you suddenly some celebrity in my house?" she joked, turning around. "Come on, we've got stuff to chop up and thaw."

"I can help?" said Spencer, tugging on Elle's arm.

"Sure, kid. Do you two wanna watch a movie or something?"

"I'm just gonna paint," said Phoenix, wandering back to his room.

"I'm gonna go watch a movie," said Robin, going to the TV room.

Elle looked over at Drew and smiled at him, making his heart race. "Let's get going."

"Right, yeah." He walked into the kitchen, while Elle lifted Spencer and put him on top of the kitchen bench. "What first?"

"Spence, honey, I need you to do something very special for me."

"Yeah?"

"Can you mix the sugar, yeast, water and salt?"

He nodded. "Where's my hat?"

"Just grab the little hat in the fourth drawer, Beanbag."

Drew did so, handing the small chef's hat to Spencer. He giggled, putting it on, and Elle handed him a fork to whisk the yeast up with.

"Hey, you've been acting kinda weird lately," said Elle suddenly, while sifting the flour. "Everything okay?"

Drew nodded silently. The truth was, no, everything was not okay. He was upset that Elle had found a new best friend in Chad, and that she seemed to like him so much. She was getting closer to him than he wanted her to. Alas, he couldn't say anything. Drew was nothing but her best friend. If only he had some sort of authority over her...

"Are you and Chad dating?" he asked suddenly.

Elle glanced up, pausing in the middle of helping Spencer mix the oil and yeast mixture into the flour. "No. Whatever gave you that idea?"

"You just- you're always hugging and stuff, and he talks about you like... I dunno."

She laughed slightly. "He's asked me out, but I said no."

Drew's heart fluttered in his chest. "R-Really? Why?"

"My dad doesn't trust him. And, y'know, I get that. I'm kinda trying to make up for being such a cu- uh, bad person these past few years," said Elle, catching herself before she swore in front of Spencer.

"So... you're not interested in dating?"

"What's the point? Love is too difficult. It goes hand in hand with pain, and suffering, and sorrow. I don't need love. I've seen what it does to some people, so I don't need it the way others do."