Chapter Thirty-Four

❝genetics (pronounced dʒɪˈnɛtɪks or juh-net-iks), noun
the science of heredity, dealing with resemblances and differences of related organisms resulting from the interaction of their genes and the environment.❞

Drew opened his eyes blearily, hearing his phone ringing under his pillow. He pulled it out, and sure enough, it was Elle calling. He always left his phone's ringtone at its loudest before he went to bed. She thought he just stayed up, but he just cared about her too much to leave her alone when she needed someone. He picked up, trying to sound as awake as he could. "Hello?"

"Hey," she breathed. "I'm sorry, I know it's late-"

"Don't worry, darling," he said. "I was just reading."

"What were you reading?"

"Erm..." His eyes searched around his room, before falling on a book. "A Clash of Kings, from A Song Of Ice and Fire."

"Right. Is it any good?"

"Yeah, it's pretty good. Is everything okay, cookie?"

She took a deep breath. "We're meeting Eva Porter today, in California. I found her Twitter, and she's checked into this one cafe every week on Sunday. We're hoping she'll be there today, too."

"Oh. That's good."

"Yeah, which means we can hold a performance and she'll likely be there. She's tweeted him a few times, meaning she's a fan at least."

"Right, right," he said quietly, moving through the house and going outside, sitting in the tire swing in his backyard. "How are you, though?"

"Me?" She sighed. "I'm, well... I dunno."

"Bruises?"

"Coming along nicely. I've got at least ten, now."

"Not funny, Ellie."

"It's the only way I'm staying sane."

"Any other symptoms?"

"I've been really sore all over, and I keep getting fevers. Pa's starting to notice, I've been playing it off-"

"Elle, I don't think this is a good idea anymore," said Drew, feeling his blood run cold. "The more you prolong the treatment, the harder it'll be to cure."

"It's gonna be okay," she said, trying to convince herself more than him. "I'll be okay."

"Please, just tell Hunter-"

"Tell him what?" she said. "We've got to find her. We've got to find my family.

"If you get sick, Ellie, if I lose you-"

"You won't lose me," she said.

"You can't guarantee that. Please, I'm begging you."

"I can't, Drew, I can't!" she said, before he heard her choking up.

"No, cookie," he said softly. "Don't cry."

"I can't stop looking, Drew, we're so close, I can feel it."

"Who are you looking for next?"

"I think... I think this might be her."

"Wh- you mean, you think this is it? You've found her?"

"Eva Porter. I'll send you a link to her Facebook, you'll see."

He quickly went back inside, grabbing his laptop and walking out again. He saw the message and looked at her. "Wow."

"Yeah, do you see it? Auburn hair, that could be a sort of mix of blonde and red. Her eyes are blue, like Pa's, she's got a similar facial structure to Lilly-"