Chapter Fourteen

❝return (pronounced rɪˈtəːn or ri-turn), verb
to go back to a place from one's past.❞

Ryan woke up, her eyes sore and red from crying again. Hunter was beside her, breathing softly and holding her close, keeping her warm. The winter had lasted longer this year, and even though it was supposed to be spring, it was still colder than it should have been.

It was April now. Robin was already planning her seventh birthday, and Phoenix was as closed up and quiet as ever. Spencer, though he had been homesick for a few weeks, was now adjusted to the new environment he found himself in, and was beginning to like America.

Elle, however, had made the biggest change of all. She was... happy. She was kind again, less angry, more sweet. She had spoken with Hunter, and they had decided not to look for their real families until Elle was older, and had the choice of whether or not she wanted to live with them. She had been making more friends, her rehearsals for the ballet were going spectacularly, and she was feeling wonderful all the time.

The only thing Hunter seemed to be worried about was the constant presence of a boy named Chad. He had hair that he had dyed black, and green eyes, and had at least four piercings, and a strange... aura about him. Ryan sensed it as well, but he hadn't done anything wrong, and so they had no reason to tell her to stay away from him, other than his strange looks.

Hunter had been talking about trying again for a baby, but it was the last thing Ryan wanted. She was so scared. She didn't want to lose another child. She didn't want to watch Hunter break that way ever again. That same nightmare of the miscarriage had woken her up again last night, left her crying for ages while Hunter tried to console her.

He stirred, squeezing Ryan gently. "G'morning," he said sleepily.

"Mornin'," she replied.

"You okay?"

"'Course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, last night, for one thing."

"I'm fine."

He smiled slightly at her. "Hey, why don't we go out tonight for dinner? Elle can babysit."

"We'll see. I might be busy tonight, I'm reapplying for the high school, so I'm visiting Principal Thatcher today."

"The high school? Is that safe?"

She chuckled slightly. "Hunter, your logic is like saying, 'Sometimes cars can crash, therefore I should never drive again.' Yes, there can be accidents. But I trust that the principal has taken the necessary precautions to ensure that-"

"You're using such big words, stop."

"Aww, are you struggling to understand?" said Ryan with a laugh.

"No, you just sound so posh, and it's too damn early in the morning," he mumbled, pulling her closer. "I like it when you talk smart. I just haven't had my coffee. I like understanding your smart talk."

"You've got a problem, Hunt. I'll stage an intervention soon."

"It's not a problem," he whined. "I'm fine."

"You're such an idiot," said Ryan with a small laugh. "I love you."

"I love you more."

They lay there for a while, waiting for Ryan's alarm to go off at six am. It was still 5:43 am, and the sun was slowly beginning to rise. Hunter could feel his heart beating in sync with Ryan's, feeling more at peace than he had the whole time since she had come back from London. There was sunlight. Sunlight, in their relationship and outside. It was perfect, warm, and they were slowly beginning to warm up to each other again. Being away from each other for so long had made them not as comfortable with each other, almost like two teenagers who had been dating for a couple of days at most.