Chapter Thirty-Three

❝story (pronounced ˈstɔːri or stohr-ee), noun
an account of one's life, dating back to when they are born.❞

"Honey?" he called, opening the front door. "Honey, I'm home! Where are you?"

There was no answer, though he wasn't quite sure why. "Are you here, darling?"

He went to her study, the most common place for her to be if she wasn't reading by the fireplace in her favourite chair. "My love?" he said, opening the door.

He saw two feet dangling from the tall ceiling- had the roof of the study always been that high?- and followed the feet up to see her hanging from her neck on the crude noose she had made with her clothes. But it wasn't Ryan.

Lilly's cold, lifeless eyes were still open.

He woke up, panting. He felt goosebumps all over his body, and his hands curled up into fists. He cursed quietly, running a hand through his hair and realising that his hair was soaked with sweat.

The competition's prize winner was coming onto the bus today. Virginia Duffy was going to meet them for the first time, eagerly and excitedly. She didn't know that her life may also change in the most extreme way she could imagine.

He got out of bed, running a hand over his chin- he needed to shave, he could feel that much. The New Year was rolling around quickly. It had been Phoenix's birthday just the other day. But when he had called, Ryan was sleeping, and Drew had taken the kids to a movie to celebrate.

He sipped at his coffee as Elle wandered in, looking tired. "Morning," she mumbled, making herself some tea and sitting across from him.

Hunter simply looked at her, then said, "You're hiding something, too."

Elle looked up in horror. "W-What?"

"You know what's wrong with Ma."

She almost breathed a sigh of relief in front of him- that would've given it away. "Drew hasn't told me," she said smoothly.

"But someone else has. I'm willing to say... Nick?"

"That's not your concern."

"So he has? Good. Nice that you're keeping secrets from me, too. I appreciate it. Thanks."

"Pa-"

"No. I get it. You're all keeping secrets from me for no damn reason. I don't care anymore." He stood up again, and stormed out of the room.

Elle sighed. Ma's condition would only be bad if something went wrong. But she couldn't tell him that- he'd go right back to Nashville to take care of her. He loved Ryan too much, that was the issue.

She sighed, looking at her phone and checking the time. It was 9 o'clock, surely Drew would be awake. She needed to tell someone. She needed to tell him.

She stood, leaving the bus and climbing into the car instead, which they towed behind the bus when they weren't driving it. She locked herself in, then called Drew.

"Hey, cookie!"

"Drew," she breathed. "How are you?"

"I'm fine-"

"And Ma?"

"She's alright."

"Alright, meaning...?"

"She's getting on. Rose is taking care of her, too. So's her doctor."

"The one who took care of her when-"

"Yeah."

She took a deep breath. "D-Drew, I..."

"Is something wrong?" he asked, noticing that her tone had changed.