Chapter Fifty-Six

❝family (pronounced ˈfamɪli or fam-il-ee), noun
undefined.❞

The woman shook her head, though she kept staring. "No. Not your mother."

A ripple of disbelief ran through him. "What?! You have to be! You have to be my mother!"

"I'm not," said the woman softly. "My name is Maria. Your mother, Charlotte... was my twin." She gazed at him. "You are Phoenix, aren't you?"

He nodded slowly. "Where's my mother? Where's my father? I was told they would be here."

"Come inside," said Maria quietly. "You may want to sit down. Would you like some tea?"

"No, I'm fine, thanks." He didn't sit down at the couch. "So... you're my-"

"Auntie Maria, yes."

"Auntie Maria." He looked at her. "So... was it you or was it my mother who dropped me off at the house I live in now?"

"It was me."

"Why?"

She simply gazed at him. "Your face is like your father's," she observed quietly. "But the shape of your face, and your eyes... just like mine. Just like Charlie's."

"What do you know?" he asked. "Tell me."

"Would you... would you like a cup of tea?"

He stared at her, and nodded slightly, sitting down. There was no use being impolite- maybe he wouldn't learn anything that way. He was so close... he'd finally get to meet his mother. Surely, surely he was close now.

"How do you like it?"

"Black, one sugar," responded Phoenix. He looked around at the photos on the walls. There were very little- they all seemed to be photos of landscapes and nature, but none of herself or her family. Ruscoe, M. Maria Ruscoe. But why did his mother's sister have his father's surname?

She handed him a mug, and he took a sip. The tea was too strong, but he kept drinking it anyway, then put the mug down. "Where are my parents? Why did you drop me off at Hunter's house?"

Maria looked very tired for a moment, then said, "Phoenix, I'm so sorry."

"Why? Why are you sorry?"

"Your parents. They... they're not here anymore."

Phoenix's throat closed up. "What do you mean? Where are they?"

He knew the answer. He knew it before she even told him.

"They're dead, Phoenix."

"You're lying."

"No."

His chest felt like it was being squeezed, and he couldn't see straight. "Y-You're lying."

"Please breathe. Let me explain."

"To Hell with your explanation."

"Listen to me, Phoenix."

He couldn't see her. He couldn't feel anything. He had been so ready to meet his parents, so ready to hug Charlie and catch up on all the lost years. He had been so ready to ask Martin when he had started painting, and everything about him.

But they were gone.

"What happened?" snarled Phoenix, with previously unimaginable hostility. "Tell me!"

A nagging voice in the back of his mind told him to wait. Chances were, this woman had nothing to do with their deaths. This woman was innocent.

But Phoenix had studied enough people on his trips to the park. The lack of eye-contact, the shaking hands, the fidgeting... this woman was guilty of something.