Chapter Twenty-Eight

❝relationship (pronounced rɪˈleɪʃ(ə)nʃɪp or ri-ley-shuh n-ship)
the way in which two or more people or things are connected, or the state of being connected.❞

Hunter hugged Elle the moment she came through the door. "Ellie? I heard that... I heard that you and Chad broke up."

"Yeah."

"Sit down. We're gonna talk."

She glanced at Ryan, who nodded. Elle took Drew's hand. "Can Drew sit with us?"

"Sure. Come on."

Hunter and Ryan sat opposite them on the other couch, and Ryan took Hunter's hand, a way of reassurance. "Ma... Ma told me last night to tell the media that you're... well, not biologically my daughter."

Her eyes widened. "And you did?"

"Yes. I did. I made a video, and put it on YouTube. It's out there."

"People know?"

"They do. And they know from us. Which means he has nothing on you anymore. There are rumours going around about how it all went about, but that doesn't matter. They won't ask you questions, and if they do, just don't answer them."

"He... can't blackmail me?"

"No."

"That's good," said Elle. "Thank you. I know that wasn't easy, Pa, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. I don't care, as long as you're safe."

"Elle," said Ryan, and she looked at her. "You need to tell him the whole truth. Do you understand what I'm saying to you?"

She looked at Drew, and Hunter looked at Ryan. "Ry? What are you talking about?"

"Elle, it's time," she said softly, and she nodded, taking a deep breath.

"Papa? Do you promise not to say anything?"

"What do you mean? Elle-" he said, his heart aching. She hadn't called him Papa in such a long time.

"Papa, just promise," she said quietly. "Please."

"I... pinky promise." He took a deep breath. "Elle, what's going on?"

She let out a short exhale, and Drew held her hand, squeezing it once. "Go on."

"Last night, I went to Chad's house to break up with him. But... he threatened me. Told me he would tell the world that you weren't my real dad."

"I know, Ma told me that."

"He would've done it, but... he gave me a choice."

He had gone pale, but asked anyway. "What choice?"

"If... If I gave... myself... to him... he wouldn't."

"Gave yourself to him? You mean- no."

"I'm sorry. Papa, I'm so sorry."

"Last... night?"

She nodded, trying hard not to cry. Hunter let out a choked sound, and leaned forward, his face in his hands. "Oh God."

"Hunt, honey, breathe," said Ryan gently.

"Ellie- he- oh God, he-" He began breathing shallowly, before standing. His face was an angry puce, and he was shaking.

"Bluejay?" said Ryan tentatively.

"I'm going to kill him."

He sounded very calm, very final about it. Though he looked totally unstable, his eyes were a kind of calm only the ocean could be- fine on the surface, but obviously bubbling with rage and danger below.