Chapter Forty-Six

❝loss (pronounced lɒs or as spelled), noun
the act or process of losing something or someone.❞

"We should go on a date," said Hunter.

Ryan looked up from nursing Red. "I'm sorry?"

"A date. The two of us. We should go out for... for a night on the town!"

"Hunt, honey, no one says 'a night on the town'," she said with a small laugh.

"I just did, didn't I?" he said. "Let's go out tonight. Drew can come over and babysit."

"Elle will love that, to be told she's being babysat by Drew."

"I'm what?"

"Not really babysat," said Hunter with a laugh. "Just because, well, if you get tired, the kids still need looking after."

"Nick's more than capable-"

"What's this?" asked Ryan. "You don't want Drew coming over?"

"Of course I do! But I don't think I'll ever live down the fact that my boyfriend is technically babysitting me."

"Think of it as co-babysitting," suggested Hunter.

She rolled her eyes, but smiled. Today was a good day. She was tired, but she was walking around and even helping with housework.

It was late August now. Elle was still sick, and wasn't getting better, but knew that she had to get on with things as much as she could. Phoenix, still holed up in his room and barely speaking to Hunter or Ryan, dreaded his birthday. Robin let her frustrations out onto her punching bag, and Spencer made strange concoctions in the kitchen, and asked Ryan to taste them. Drew... well, Drew was getting on. But he was slowly, very slowly, sinking. Elle could see it.

"But Hunt, I dunno. I mean, Red-"

"Elle's more than capable of looking after Red, aren't you?"

"Yeah, Ma. Seriously, you two should take a break."

Ryan didn't say anything, but the thought of a break... just a night away from the kids, a night with Hunter, where it was just them, and no Red to interrupt them... a night to sleep, or not sleep... to talk...

"What do you think, Ry?"

She sighed. "Hunt, I dunno. I mean, I love the idea, but-"

"Then no buts. Let's spend a night out. Just the two of us."

"Where?"

"I'll decide that. You look after the kids, and I'll tell you what to wear. How's that?"

"We should probably tell Drew this is happening," Elle said, grabbing her phone. "I'll call him."

"Alright, darling. Thank you." Hunter smiled at Ryan, and she smiled back slightly. Finally, maybe they'd have time to be together.

Meanwhile, Elle held the phone to her ear, falling onto her bed. "Hello?" he said, and she automatically smiled.

"Hey, beanbag."

"Feeling okay?"

"Of course. Ma and Pa wanna go out tonight, they're asking if you and I could stay over and watch the kids?"

"Yeah, for sure. Could we order some pizza or something in? I reckon it'd be easier than trying to cook for all of them."

"I was gonna suggest we make that chicken avocado pasta thing that Robbie likes so much. She's been a bit down lately."

"Ah, yeah, of course. How are you?"

"I'm actually doing well. I helped Ma around the house and I was playing with Robbie and Spence outside."