Chapter Nine

❝exam (pronounced iɡˈzam or ig-zam), noun
an examination in school.❞

"You want the truth?"

She nodded silently.

"I did. For a long time, I did."

Her heart sunk. "O-Oh."

"I don't anymore, but..."

She stayed silent, staring at her notes. Hunter sighed, moving closer. "Honey? Let me explain, please."

She made no indication that she had heard him, but he spoke anyway. "Yes. For a long time, I resented you. I hated that you left me like that, like it was the easiest thing you had ever done. I hated how eager you were. I hated that you left me with three kids, and that you took just one of them with you. I'm not gonna say I didn't, because I want to think that our relationship is built on trust, not lies."

"It was never ea-"

"Hold on. You didn't let me finish. I started to see changes in you, my dove. I started seeing that familiar spark in your eye, the spark I hadn't seen for a long, long time. I started noticing how you seemed to be smiling more often than not, and that you were... happy. You were happy, my dove. And honestly, I couldn't have been happier that you were finally smiling again."

Her eyes flickered up to look at his, and he smiled gently. "I promise. I pinky promise, with all my heart, that I love you more than life itself. You're everything to me. And whether we're together or apart, that won't change."

She nodded, and he picked her up again, setting her down on the couch. "My darling, it's late, and you're tired. You need rest. Studying won't help if you haven't slept all night."

"I know. But I don't know how well I'll be able to sleep."

He tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry for yelling at you."

"No, you're right. It was stupid of me, to think that my dyslexia isn't enough of an issue that it would affect me on my exam. This counts for so much of the grade, Hunt. I should have-"

"Should have, could have, would have, but there's nothing we can do about it now. So, let's drop it, and we can rest. How about that?"

"I suppose."

Hunter smiled, moving her woollen wrap to the side to reveal the tank top she was wearing underneath, and touching her tattoo. "I love you."

"I love you, too. I'm sorry-"

"Don't apologise, my dove. I know. I understand you better than you think I do."

She looked up at him and smiled slightly, and he chuckled, his hand moving to the space on her back right between her shoulder blades. "You're so beautiful."

She nuzzled her face into his chest, and he sighed. "Let's go to bed. Rest up."

"You know, there's a strange sense of charm about sleeping on the couch. A sense of home."

"Are you insinuating that you want to sleep on the couch?"

"Big words, Hunt. I don't recommend that you use your entire vocabulary in one sentence."

"You wanna say that again?" he said jokingly, kissing her. "I could totally take you down in a fight."

"As if," she scoffed, laughing. "You'd fall over if I breathed on you."

He began tickling her, and she squirmed, trying not to laugh. "Get off!"

"Only when you admit I'm smarter than you!"