Chapter Thirty-Two

❝collapse (pronounced kəˈlaps or kuh-laps), verb
(of a person) fall down and become unconscious as a result of illness or injury.❞

Hunter paced the floor of the bus, and Elle watched him. "So you're saying-"

"She's a Hayniac. An extremely excitable Hayniac."

He looked at her. "And you think that we can use that to our advantage?"

"Sure. We'll have a competition- one of the ones you used to do, where a fan is allowed into the bus for a tour and a day with us. And in that time, I'll make friends with her, maybe find a way to meet her family."

"And she'll win the competition?"

"No, she'll just be invited in," said Elle sarcastically.

"Right, right."

"She'll enter the competition, and we'll have her win."

"And you reckon she'll fall for that?"

"What's so suspicious about that? Just a competition."

He nodded. "Sounds like a plan."

Elle looked at him. "So how've you been?"

"Me? I've been better."

"Still worrying about Ma?"

"How am I not meant to worry?"

"I heard you last night. Couldn't sleep?"

"No."

"Everything alright?"

He just looked at her. "What do you think?"

"No need to be like that," she mumbled.

"I'm sorry. I just-"

"Didn't sleep, I know. You haven't slept at all during this tour, you're gonna get sick."

"I'm fine, I've got coffee."

"That's not healthy."

"I'm fine."

Elle glared at him, and he sighed. "Alright. I'm gonna take a nap, then."

"Good. You don't wanna fall asleep onstage."

"I'll see you on the other side."

It had been a month since Elle had managed to find Virginia on Facebook. She had gone to parties, signed in at local cafes, and they had finally whittled her location down to Mission Bend, a small town in Greater Houston. They had decided on the best time to meet her, while Hunter did shows in Austin and in Dallas, before they made their way to Houston.

He lay down, trying to close his eyes, but he couldn't. His body was hurting, and his brain was buzzing.

He stared up for a moment longer, before taking out his phone and messaging her.

Hunter: hey darling :)

A moment later, she replied.

Ryan: Hi hi :D

Hunter: You seem to be in a good mood

Ryan: I decided that I deserved to go out for lunch with the kids so we went to Mcdonalds, and Spence was playing on the playground and he wasn't hurting or anything!

Hunter: Ry, that's amazing!

Ryan: I know!

Ryan: Hey I'm sorry about being so cold to you all the time. I'm okay, pinky promise