Chapter Forty-Seven

❝final (pronounced ˈfaɪn l or fahyn-l), adjective
pertaining to or coming at the end; last in place, order, or time.❞

Elle tucked Spencer in with a little kiss on the forehead. "Ellie, can you read me a story?" he asked.

Her tongue suddenly felt like lead in her mouth. Her reading skills had dropped quite dramatically. "I-"

"I'll do that," said a deep voice behind her. She turned around and saw Drew standing in the doorway in his pyjamas. "Robbie wanted you, Ellie, check on her real quick."

She smiled at him, and he placed a hand on her back, gently pushing her out. "Don't worry," he said softly.

She walked to Robin's room, and sat down on her bed. She looked up. "Hi."

"Are you feeling better?"

"I liked the pasta. Thank you."

"No problem."

Robin looked down with a small sigh, and Elle said, "What's wrong?"

"I'm scared. That's all."

Elle didn't need to ask what she was scared of. "I know you are. I mean... I am, too. I'm terrified."

"What happens after you die?"

"Well... everything will just go on. The sun'll still rise in the morning and set in the evening. You'll still go to school, and you'll see your friends and you'll come home, and Ma will take care of you. And Pa will come home in the evening and sing in the studio, and Phoenix will paint and Spencer will... he'll do whatever it is that he always does. But it won't matter, my darling."

"So... everything will be normal?"

"Exactly. Everything will be just fine."

"But... but what about you?"

"I'll be there, too. Maybe not in person. But when people go to Heaven, there's always a new star in the sky. And it'll shine brightly and twinkle, just for you. I promise." Never mind that Elle probably had a one way ticket to Hell for all that she had done. Robin didn't need to know any of that.

"Really?"

"Truly. Pinky promise." She leaned forward and kissed her forehead. "Promise you'll get some sleep?"

She nodded, before hugging Elle tightly. "I love you."

"I love you more." She tucked her in. "Sleep well, pumpkin."

Drew was waiting outside the room for her, obnoxiously tall with a smirk on his face. "I figure we could have our little date now," he said casually.

"Date? I'm in my pyjamas."

"So am I." He took her hand. "I checked on Red after you, she's asleep. I think we've got some time for ourselves now."

He lead her into the living room. It was dimly lit, with just the dining table only lit with a few candles. Two plates full of the pasta they had made was sitting on the table, and there were two wine glasses filled with-

"Lemonade? Really?"

"Come on," he said. "This entire setup and you notice the lemonade?"

She laughed, and he walked with her to the table, pulling her seat out for her and sitting opposite to her. "Isn't this nice?" he asked. "This is like, the first date we've ever been on."