Chapter Seven

NIALL'S POV

I left Louis' little apartment, my mind still playing what happened over and over again. What Louis told me about himself. His life story. I can't believe his family would make him think like that. Keep him hidden. Put it inside his head that he's a freak. Undermine his confidence.

But I'm so glad that Louis is away from them now, and I'm particularly happy that out of all the places he could move to, he chose Mullingar.

As it was almost dusk and the sun was setting, I briskly walked back home, to my own apartment. But changing my mind at the last minute, I changed course and started walking in the direction of the bowling alley, where Zayn worked on weekends when he didn't work at the cafe.

I wanted to talk to my best mate, about... something.

~*~

The chatters and sounds of Mullingar's only bowling alley filled my ears and I pushed the glass doors open, walking inside.

"Oh, Niall! Hey mate!" Zayn waved at me from behind the counter as soon as he spotted me. Sure, his other part time job wasn't that great, but he surprisingly enjoyed it. And it paid the bills, he says. Or maybe 'cos Harry loves to frequent this place and Zayn can stalk- er, observe him with ease.

"What is the occasion? Why have you decided to grace me with your holy presence?" Zayn exaggerated, and I rolled my eyes, leaning my elbows on the counter.

"Not much," I shrugged. "Just missed you."

Zayn narrowed his eyes at me. "I'm flattered. Now, spill it Niall."

I sighed. He knew me too well. How do I start? "Do you remember Louis?"

Zayn smirked. "Oh, how can I forget?"

"Yeah," I mumbled, as Zayn bent down and searched for the right bowling shoes for a girl, and handed them to her with a cheeky wink. Hard to believe he's only gay.

"You've been talking an awful lot about him lately. So, is he your boyfriend now?" Zayn quirked an eyebrow, turning back to me.

"No, Zayn! He isn't!"

Zayn smirked. "Well, do you want him to be?"

I blushed. "N-no, I don't know. He's nice. Its fun to spend time with him, and I've known him for only a few days, but he's a really good friend. He can always cheer me up, he has such a cute smile..." I rambled, but trailed off when I saw a smug smile on my best friend's face.

"What?"

"Looks like you really like this boy," Zayn observed.

I sighed. "Yeah. I know, it's weird. I've known him for such a short time but-"

"That doesn't matter, Nialler. Now, how does Louis feel about you?" Zayn asked softly, and surprisingly, he was serious.

"I've no idea. He pecks my cheek and hugs me all the time but I think he does that in a friendly way. And when I do those things, I make it seem like I'm being friendly too. I don't want to scare him."

Zayn nodded. "Good, good. You're doing great. Don't worry, Louis will come around. 'Cos no one can resist the Irish!" Zayn cheered, and I chuckled.

"Maybe. Now, how's it going with Harry?" I changed the subject, and Zayn pouted like a little kid.

"I talked to him in Biology. Dropped subtle hints but he's so damn oblivious or acts like he is! How do I even bring that night up?! I'm getting so frustrated Nialler!"