Chapter 18

"Bella, how've you been lately?" Jake asked me, his dark hazel eyes glaring straight into Austin's blue ones with a slight smirk plastered on his face.

Austin hurriedly answered his question for me, "She's been fine." I felt a gentle touch on my shoulders as Austin casually slung his arm around me. This slight gesture made me explode with fireworks inside, I fought back a smile that was creeping onto my face.

I heard that Austin and Jake had never been the best of friends anyway but Austin was acting strange. As much as Mia and Kayla try to tell me Austin may have feelings for me, it's just...hard to believe. I mean why would he want just an ordinary girl like me?

"Next time let her answer that herself." Jake replied bitterly and obviously annoyed, Austin tensed up beside me.

"We should really get going babe." Austin's words were so casually said yet they still made my heart flutter instantly. Babe? He never calls me that.

"I guess I'll see you around then Bella." Jake said, I looked up at him; the left side of his faint red lips tugged upwards into that signature smirk of his.

"Not if I can help it." Austin whispered so only I could hear him as he guided me out of the store, I let out a slight laugh.

"Where we off too now then, babe." I cooed, mocking his own words. Austin playfully nudged me, sending me a little off balance.

"We could maybe go-um-grab some lunch?" He offered, scratching the back of his neck. What was up with Austin? I had spent enough time with him since I moved to this school to know that he's not the type of guy to act nervous around a girl.

I agreed to go before I remembered Mia and Kayla. Is it bad that I forgot about them..? I mean I was caught up with Austin/Jake drama, everything else was just a blur. I looked over to the coffee store and they were sitting where I left them, talking to one another.

I walked over with Austin by my side and explained how I was going to go and grab lunch with Austin. "You're welcome to join?" I offered, not wanting to sound rude from ditching our girly shopping day to be with Austin. Mia and Kayla turned down my offer and they shot me a knowing look. They already knew I liked Austin.

"Yeah good idea, I'm starving!" Riley dramatically pointed out, I felt slightly disappointed that it wasn't just going to be Austin and me. Before I could reply there was a loud bang from under the table followed by Riley screeching. "Hey, what was that for-"He started to say though Mia butted in "Riley you're always hungry, Bella we'll catch up with you later, have fun!" She replied before giving Riley a deadly glare. I rolled my eyes laughing.

Austin and I were chatting away and walking through the mall debating where to eat. "The campus diner is way better!" I said remembering back to the last time I went there. Austin was telling me about some other place when a new boutique caught my eye, I tugged on Austin's shirt gesturing for him to follow me.

It was a cute little shoe boutique, I walked over to the heels section and saw the perfect pair of silver heels that would match my red dress. I lifted up one of the shoes and watched it glistening under the shimmering lights every time I moved my hand. I loved them.

"If only you looked at me like you look at those heels." Austin laughed beside me. Oh if only he knew how I felt when I looked at him. "Why don't you try them on?"

I politely asked the women if she had my size and waited for her to bring them out, she was way nicer than that Katie girl from the dress boutique. Austin picked up the shoes and unstrapped them before placing them on my feet. "The glass slipper don't fit...you must be the ugly sister?"