Protecting Her

Harry's POV:

I look down at her. Her long bangs fall in her face, I smile and gently move it to the side. She fell asleep, her face seemed to relax, I kiss the top of her head. I could't believe how utterly stupid I was being last night, I didn't want to, I just want everything to erase. I watch Megan's eyebrows furrow and she grips my torso tighter. I smile into her hair.

"I'm never leaving you again." I lean my head on hers, "I promise."

"Yeah and how well did that promise of yours last last time?" I hear Josh's voice ring through the shadowy room.

"Things are different this time."

"Oh, I'd love to hear this joke. How so? What, in you famous cluttered brain makes you believe this time is any different from only a few days ago? You left remember?

"Quit reminding me." I say clenching my jaws.

"Why? You're just going to leave again anyway. What's the point Styles? How can you promise her half the care that she needs?" Megan squirms, I shoot a death glare at him. His voice quiets down. "What I mean is, how can you promise something you can't keep?"

I look down at her calmed face. "Because, I have no one else to live for." I look back up at Josh, at his hard sky blue eyes. "The hardest part of last night was not knowing that I would lose her, it was trying to imagine how to live without her. I went to the bar to get my mind off it but was only there for a short amount of time before Louis came looking for me. I was pretty drunk but I knew I had screwed up, big time, I knew where he was going to take me here if he caught hold of me, so I fought back."

Josh looks at me confused. "But you said you couldn't imagine life without her just a moment ago. What made you want to fight back."

"Because I believed she was better off without me, and if I came back it would only complicate things. So I just wanted to stay away. Then Liam said something about her up here at the hospital, something just snapped. I didn't want to see her, not like that at least. Liam kept telling me to come see her how it would help me gain a little sanity back, I threw my shoe at him. I was crazy, I went on my phone to distract myself until the doctors released me and saw another girl on my lock screen. Then things started to click. I could tell I was being so stupid, I went to my photos and saw my favorite picture, us at the carnival, I needed to see her, then I came up here. When I finally saw her again, it was like seeing a stranger. That was the point when I really came back together and decided to stop being so selfish. and realized she needed me more than I needed her." I kissed the top of her head. "There is no amounts of time that can even begin to heal what's happened to her, but maybe I could be the one to start that process, even if I'm not the one she will end up with. I want to bring some happiness to her life. I know I caused so much pain these last few nights, I just want to make things right again. I want to make her smile again, that's all I want."

I hear Megan sigh, " And that, is why I love you Harry."

I look down startled. "Megan,  I thought you were asleep?"

She tilts her head up so I see her light electric blue eyes. "Not really, relaxing is more what it felt like like. Haven't really had a good night sleep for the past few days to be honest with you." She looks back down.

"Well how about tonight is the night you get all the sleep you need as long as you need?"

She looks up again smiling, "As long as you're here with me."

I smile and nod. "I promise."

She, closes her eyes, and rests her head back on my chest. I kiss the top of her head and rest my head on hers.

Josh looks away.

I look around the rest of the room and realize the others were gone.

"Where'd they go?"

Josh takes a deep breath, I could tell he was still trying to contain some anger. His jaw tightens. "Probably to get some breakfast."

Megan looks up sightly. I chuckle. "You hungry Megan?" She blushes. "Come on, I bet your tired of laying in bed all day . And if I remember correctly you of all people hate laying around without a purpose." She smiles. Oh how I missed that smile. Her eyes were crinkled at the edges softly, she giggles. I get up and throw back her covers. She stretches her back and yawns.

It was like seeing her for the first time again. Skinny, pale, and definitely tired. It makes her look older. She had on a blue hospital gown, I look around for her clothes.

"Hey Styles?"

I look around and see Niall at the door. "Hey." I look over at Megan, she wasn't paying attention, she stared out the window.

Niall gestures his head out to the hallway.

I look back at Megan. "Hey I'll be back OK?" She continues to stare out the window.

As I walk out to the hallway I leave the door open only slightly so I could still see her. I turn to see Niall his arms crossed. He's annoyed that I could tell.

"What are you up to?" He asks.

I knit my eyebrows. "What are you talking about?"

"Hand over the girl Styles."

"What?! No, Your crazy."

"Hand her over, now."

"Not going to happen."

"Styles listen to me!" Liam steps around the corner, his face serious.

He tells me sternly to listen as well so I do. "She's not safe here."

I start to protest but Liam interrupts.

"Listen. You know the paparazzi is on their way and we've been here far too long. You know this Josh knows this and we know this. It's not safe for her here. Give us the girl."

There was nothing to think about but I stay quiet for awhile. "We were about to go have breakfast can we go after?"

They both look at each other as if talking with their eyes. Niall's eyes were almost pleading. Liam caves in. "Yeah I guess we've got a little time. We can meet Louis at the cafeteria."

"Where did he run off to?" I ask not seeing him anywhere.

"He went for a walk to cool off"

"What was he mad about?"

"Doesn't matter anymore. How bout you text him, we'll meet you down at the cafeteria."

I nod. They turn to go down to the cafeteria and I turn to face the door. Before I go back in I text Louis. "Come have breakfast with us we need to talk." I sent it and went back in the room. Megan was up and ready for breakfast, I look over at Josh in the corner.

"Coming to breakfast?"

"Kinda have to. I'm not letting you take my sister somewhere out of my sight. I'd have to be mad to do that."

I sigh and look down ashamed, knowing no one will ever look at me the same way again. Megan interlocks her fingers with mine and the feeling goes away.

She smiles. "Let's go get breakfast."