SEVENTEEN

'Girls, let's play truth or dare!'

Tamsin was sitting cross-legged on Johanna's bed when Thea suggested the idea. Brett had only dropped her off a half hour ago, and since then, the two girls had squealed excitedly, demanding that Tamsin spill the date details. She had reluctantly told them—very vaguely—about the dinner and his family. Thea had screwed up her nose, asking why on earth he would take her to meet his family on the first date, but Johanna cooed, her innocent brown eyes alight with the prospect of romance. Tamsin had refused to say any more about the kiss and had hurried into the shower to get away from their questions.

She yawned in the shower, scrubbing down her skin with minimal effort. She was too tired to wash her hair, so she simply tied it into a bun at the top of her head. Once she was in her PJ's, Thea had said it.

'Truth or dare?' Johanna asked, yawning in her bed.

'Yes! Come on, girls, it's a Friday night. We should have a little fun.'

Frowning thoughtfully, after a moment, Johanna nodded. 'You're right, Thee. We should. Tamsin, you in?'

Sighing, Tamsin knew she'd probably regret it later, but she nodded anyway. 'Fine. I'm in.'

Thea squealed enthusiastically. 'Come sit on my bed and we'll start.'

The two girls did as she asked and sat cross-legged on her bed. Johanna fidgeted with excitement, while Tamsin yearned for sleep.

'Okay,' Thea grinned. 'We all know how to play, right?' Her eyes drifted to Tamsin, who blushed. 'That's okay,' Thea insisted, 'I'll explain. So, the aim of the game is...well, there's a few outcomes—'

'Get to the good parts, Thee!' Johanna exclaimed.

'Basically we go around a circle, and for example, if Johanna was asking me, she would say truth or dare, and I would pick one. Most wusses go for truth, which means the person asks you a question and you answer honestly. But dare is obviously when you get dared to do something, and you have to do it.'

Tamsin nodded. 'Okay. I think I get it.'

'Start, Thee,' Johanna said impatiently.

'Hmm...' Thea tapped her index finger against her chin and narrowed her eyes into slits. She turned her eyes on Johanna. 'J! Truth or dare?'

Johanna blushed. 'Truth.'

'Come on, J, do a dare!'

Johanna shook her head with a smile. 'Nope. I said truth.'

Thea sighed dramatically, thinking up a question to ask. Suddenly, she smiled slyly. 'J, who do you like?'

Johanna scoffed. 'That's such a stupid question. Everyone always asks that question!'

'Exactly. So, dish. Who is it, J?'

Johanna rolled her eyes. 'Thea...'

'Come on. You know the game!'

She swept a strand of her brown hair behind her ear and glared at her friend. 'Seriously, Thee...'

'What?'

'I don't want to answer this one.'

'Too bad. You have to. It's a rule.'

'Maybe you should ask another question,' Tamsin advised.

'Maybe J should answer this one,' Thea said sharply, turning her dark eyes on Johanna, who was hugging her knees to her chest, nervously playing with a frayed end of her shirt. 'Go on, Johanna. Who do you like?'