THIRTY SIX - PART TWO

--- 

The party was bursting with life.

Lina had truly outdone herself this time. The house, an ancient, abandoned farmhouse on the outskirts of New York, was crammed to the roof full of bodies—some of which Tamsin didn't know—and the loudest music she'd ever heard. It was bustling inside, music vibrating the house, gyrating bodies packed on a makeshift dancefloor—somebody's old living room. Yet, somehow, the attire managed to stay classy, and the farmhouse had been decorated perfectly, covering up any of its flaws. Set against the backdrop of a full moon and glittering night sky, edging on a forest, it couldn't have been more perfect.

Cheers hollered as she walked through the house. Lina emerged from the dancefloor, a red cup in one hand, a breadstick in the other. She smelled like cherries when she excitedly pulled Tamsin into a hug; her green eyes lively and bright. 'Babe! I hope the limo wasn't too much. If you're gonna travel, travel in style, I say.' She winked.

'Leens, this is so— '

'Over-the-top?' She interrupted, eyes wide with worry. Her hand touched her heart. 'Oh, I knew you'd say that. I was worried you wouldn't like any of it— '

'Then you clearly don't know me at all, because I love it.' She beamed. 'Thank you. It's the best gift you could have given me.'

'Oh, babe, don't make me cry in the middle of my jam,' she scolded playfully, wiping an imaginary tear from under her eye. She looked Tamsin up and down and gave an approving smile before noticing Angus at her side. Lina turned to him, seemingly smug. 'So you managed to get her here without blowing it?'

'Well...she kind of figured it out.'

Lina turned to me, eyes all wide again. Is this true? They demanded at her. Tamsin could only give a sheepish shrug before she was whisked away by a group of girls she'd met only once before, but were apparently now her best friends.

They thrusted a red cup like Lina's into her hand and giggled in her ear, shouting at her how great the party was. Tamsin didn't have the heart to tell them she hadn't known it was happening until about an hour ago, but happily accepted the compliments on Lina's behalf and promised to tell her about them the following morning.

After a few hours of flocking from group to group, being told 'happy birthday' and making sure her drink had no alcohol (which was difficult, considering it was a party) seeing as she didn't want a repeat of the last time she'd had a drink, a warm arm snaked around her waist. Tamsin glanced back, expecting to see Angus, surprised when she saw Brett's face. Instantly, she smiled. She was glad that they were on friendly terms again. The past few days at breakfast had been awkward, to say at the least, but they'd gotten through it with consideration and kindness. 'Outside?' He asked her. The way his eyes slid over hers absently and the slurred tone of his voice indicated that he'd had too much to drink. Expertly, she moved his arm across her shoulders and hauled him up and out the front door. Few people were milling around outside, shouting, laughing, nearing the woods. Some were passed out on the lawn out the front.

Tamsin helped Brett down onto the cushioned porch swing, where he relaxed instantly. Blinking slowly, once realising that he was sitting, he sighed in relief. 'Great party,' he slurred.

Tamsin laughed. 'I can see you've been enjoying it so far.' Carefully, she pinched the brim of his cup between her fingers and removed it from his hand, placing it onto the wooden slabs of board beneath them. 'Maybe a little too much?'

He chuckled and slung his arm around her, the way he always used to. Sighing at nothing in particular, he broke the sudden tense silence between them. 'I don't know how this happened, Tammy.' He whispered affectionately.