THIRTY FIVE

True to his word, Angus showed up exactly eight p.m. later that night. Tamsin hadn't had time to question him any more about the party—now that classes had resumed, he'd taken off in a hurry for his first period after promising to pick her up tonight. Sure, she'd seen him in the class they both shared, but they'd been paired up for a brief partner task, to be performed in that lesson, so there hadn't been time to see him.

She didn't know what to expect tonight. She had no idea where the party was, who was going, or whether or not tonight was meant to be a date. So, in being totally clueless, she'd chosen a casual party outfit that Lina had deemed appropriate, though she was a little jealous she hadn't been invited to go herself. Tamsin assured her that none of the others were going either, and that Angus' friend was throwing it. A friend that apparently they didn't know of.

At 8.01, there came a knock at the door. 'You better get it,' Lina had said, 'just in case it's not a date. If I answer, it'll look like you're still getting ready like you're trying to impress him or something.'

Tamsin, confused by her logic, answered the door anyway. 'Hi,' she beamed. For a heartbreaking moment, she wished he could see her. Even though the outfit she wore wasn't exactly amazing, she'd put in effort. Lina had straightened her unruly hair, giving her a polished but sophisticated look, and had leant Tamsin a pair of her best, black skinny jeans. Pairing the jeans with a blue lace off-the-shoulder top and ballet flats, she totally looked the part of a put-together, balanced city girl. She'd even wore light makeup, which was a rarity.

'Hey,' he grinned. Something in his smile told Tamsin that she wasn't exactly ready for what he had planned. 'So, you ready?'

'Sure.' Waving a quick, nervous goodbye to Lina, Tamsin closed the door behind them and walked beside Angus to the carpark. Even she had to admit that he cleaned up nicely—wearing a pair of dark Levi's, a navy blue button down shirt that was rolled up to his elbows and casual closed in shoes, he looked attractive. Almost boyish, which made her blush. It made her wonder if he knew how he looked.

'Obviously I can't drive,' he began, interrupting her thoughts, 'so we're going to have to take the train.' He sounded apologetic, but she couldn't have cared less. She'd been taking trains all her life. Taking a train would be more comfortable than being in a dark, intimate space with Angus in his own car.

On the train, Angus expertly weaved his way through the rows of seats, navigating his way toward the back of the train where two spare seats were.

'I'm officially impressed,' Tamsin laughed.

He smiled a little. 'Believe me, finding my way around has taken months of practise.'

'Months?' She pondered aloud. 'But I thought...'

He quieted for a moment, and said vaguely, 'I haven't always been blind.'

She decided to change the subject immediately, before he clammed up or got uncomfortable. 'So,' she said brightly, 'where's this mystery party?'

---

Once they'd stepped off the train, they'd taken a cab through the city. Tamsin had gushed to herself at the beauty of the city lights. She hadn't seen much of New York since arriving, and it was aweing. When the cab pulled up in front of a huge, brick-building, Tamsin was confused. She'd thought they were going to a party—in fact, Angus had said exactly that. So what were they doing here?

He gave her a knowing look and sucked in a deep breath, releasing it slowly, as he turned to face the building. 'So, party may have been the wrong word. It's really more of a...congregation than anything. Friends' of my friend. You'll see.' He took her hand and lead her through the gorgeous building, into a beautiful glass foyer, contradicting the bricks on the outside. The foyer was square-shaped and immaculate. Modern pillows, black sofas and the softest velvety cushions Tamsin had ever felt decorated the lobby. On the far side of the wall, a long, see-through desk perched.