TWENTY EIGHT

'I wish we could stay like this forever,' Brett mumbled against Tamsin's bare shoulder. A smile played on her lips as she turned around into his arms and kissed his lips.

'But we can't. Lina's going to be back tomorrow, and if you get caught sleeping over...well, I don't want to be expelled. I don't want you expelled.'

He smiled lazily, his eyes bright. They always were this time of morning. 'We're not doing anything.'

'Brett, you've stayed over the entire week. If you get caught, the school is kind of going to assume we're...you know. Up to something.'

He propped his elbow up on the pillow as a ray of sunshine peeked in through the half-open curtains, bathing his back in light. 'I like sleeping with you.'

Lina had been away for an entire week, holidaying with her family in Indiana. She had relatives there so they did it every year, with every one of her brothers and sisters. With the small gap between terms, school was officially closed, but the building was still open to people who chose to stay on campus. Tamsin, along with Brett, Ali, Violet, Eliza and a few others, stayed on campus. But the rules were even stricter than before: lights out by 9 pm, nobody to be outside of their dorm after lights out, security guards patrolling halls and outside the school from 9 pm until 6 am the next day, no parties, etc., etc. It was all so boring.

Except for the nights, when Brett would somehow manage to sneak into her dorm. Since Lina was gone, they had the place to themselves. They'd stay up until midnight every night watching old movies and eating popcorn like they'd never eaten food before, making out, sleeping. The nights were perfect. Peaceful. Right.

But it was all ending so quickly. The quick one-week break was coming to an end. Tomorrow was Sunday, and then classes resumed again on Monday. And then Brett would have to go back to the dorm he shared with Angus, and life would go back to its normal, hectic self.

There had only been one piece of good news the entire week: Trey was settling into a foster home. The couple were young, in their mid-twenties. Attractive, responsible. The wife had recently found out she couldn't have children, and so they'd opted to adopt, only neither of them could stand the thought of waiting so long. So they'd welcomed other children who needed other homes into their lives, and that was how Trey was where he was. He was lucky. They both adored him already, and even looked a little like him. The husband had dark wavy hair, deep set eyes and light skin, like him. Tamsin really liked them both and was glad Trey had them. He was starting school next week, just a block away from Hamilton, at The Browning School for boys.

She bit her lip, a thousand miles away from Brett and the bed and the warmth of the sun on their barely-clothed bodies. Just because they weren't getting too physical too fast didn't mean they hadn't done other things...like see each other half-naked. She didn't care to get barer than what she already was—only in her bra and underwear. He was shirtless in a pair of boxers. It was okay. It was hard not to do more than just make out sometimes, but they managed. They were comfortable. That was all that mattered.

Brett slid a finger teasingly under the bra strap on her shoulder and kissed the space between her neck and shoulder tenderly. 'Do we really have to go?'

She reached out gently and touched his cheek with her fingertips. 'Yes,' she whispered sadly. 'We really do.'

---

It was one when they headed downstairs to the cafeteria. Brett pushed the elevator and the doors swung open. As they sped downstairs, his arm came around her and he kissed her temple affectionately. 'I've loved this past week with you.' He said.

She smiled widely. 'Me too.'

'I wondered if...well, what your plans are next year.'

She blanched. 'My plans...?'

'In terms of your type of career...housing. That stuff. You do have a plan, don't you?'

She cleared her throat nervously, buying time. 'Um, of course. Plans are...they're important. That's why...I have one.' She said slowly, through clenched teeth.

'I know we've only been together a few months, and if you see us taking it to the next level one day, I thought it might make sense to, perhaps, I dunno...think about living together next year.'

She inhaled sharply. 'Brett!' He'd startled her.

'Please, don't feel pressured. I still feel the same way I do about taking things slow, thinking everything through before we...you know. I just thought, if you're thinking about taking us more seriously, and as our relationship progresses, that we could live together. It would make expenses a little more bearable, and...look, obviously I haven't given this detailed thought. It was just a suggestion. Don't take it too much to mind if you don't want.'

'No, I...I think that's a good idea. I mean, I want to be in the city, working with artists. I want to be near my brother. But I'm not letting go of you anytime soon. I think, if we're still together by the end of the year, we should do it.'

'Really? You'd want to?'

'Of course I would. I couldn't think of anything better, to tell you the truth. You. Me. An apartment. Bills. Responsibility.' She laughed. 'It's a little surreal.'

'You're a little surreal.'

Tamsin screwed up her nose and laughed. 'Brett, don't be cheesy!'

'I'm cheesy when I'm in love.'

Tamsin's smile froze on her lips. 'You—what?'

He bit his lip, smiling. 'I didn't know how to say it romantically. But I do, Tamsin.' He sighed. 'I'm falling madly in love with you.'

'I am, too, Brett. A lot.' She blushed. I'm in love. Funny. She really didn't feel all that different. But she was intensely happy around Brett. She caught herself smiling in the shower, at breakfast. When she brushed her hair. At the silliest, most random, insignificant moments, she'd catch herself smiling. Because of you, she thought. Because I'm happy.

I really hope it lasts.

---