TWENTY TWO

Tamsin was apprehensive when she walked into breakfast the next morning. Her eyes immediately scanned the room for any sign of Brett, but when she didn't see him at their regular table, she sighed and joined the long line for the eggs benedict.

Last night had been a night of tossing and turning. She'd woken up at least three times—the first time at around midnight, taking her a half hour to fall back asleep, the second at 2 am when she was startled awake from a nightmare of someone breaking in again, and the third time two hours later, woken by giggles from outside in the hall. Only she hadn't fallen back to sleep after that. She'd lain awake for the rest of the night, frustrated when she didn't fall back asleep. At five o'clock she'd finally had enough and got up, deciding that a long jog around the gardens might help to tire her out. No such luck. If anything, combined with the heavy, cold raindrops, she'd only woken up more.

Now she was exhausted and battled her eyelids to stay open. As the line grew shorter, she took her plate of eggs gratefully from the elderly woman dishing them out behind the counter and beelined it for her table.

Only Ali, Blake, Tyrone, Violet and Quincy were there. It was still too early for any of the others to have even woken up yet, even though classes began in an hour. Feeling somewhat annoyed at them for not being here, she placed her plate of eggs onto the table and slumped down into her chair, barely muttering a hello.

Ali, always chipper and lively, simply laughed when she saw the dark circles under Tamsin's eyes. 'Oh, honey,' she pouted, fighting a grin, 'was it a rough night?'

Tamsin blew out an impatient sigh. 'I guess that's one way of putting it.'

'What's the other way?' Blake asked, his usually warm brown eyes suddenly sharp and teasing.

'Just leave me alone, okay? I just need...quiet.' She said, massaging her temples with her fingers. Great. A headache meant an even harder day.

'You want quiet, you move elsewhere,' Tyrone chuckled. 'Girl, this table is for noise. Am I right?' He snickered, hi-fiving Quincy, who looked smug.

'Fine,' she snapped, gathering up her bag. She couldn't sit here any longer or she'd get too angry and say something she'd regret later. That would only be another problem she'd have to deal with; another problem she didn't need. It was hard enough keeping her thoughts of Trey at bay. Was Holly ever going to call her back? Didn't she have any information about the situation yet?

'No, Tamsin, don't leave!' Ali piped up. 'Tyrone was just kidding.' She threw a sharp glance in his direction. 'Weren't you, T?'

Tyrone bit back a smile. 'Yeah, sure.'

'See?' She smiled at Tamsin. 'He was only joking around. Please stay. The others aren't even awake yet.'

Tamsin closed her eyes for a moment. If she stayed, she'd bring down the mood and she didn't want to be the one to do that. She didn't even want to be here, period. She had to leave. 'No, it's alright,' she told Ali, reopening her eyes and stifling a yawn. 'I'm not staying here today. I'm not even going to class.'

Ali frowned. 'Why not?'

'I just can't deal with this today. I need to call— 'She sucked in a sharp breath. She'd been about to say, my lawyer, and realised that none of them knew about her brother. It should stay that way. 'Um, my family,' she said quickly.

Ali's face softened and she nodded knowingly. 'Okay. I get it. Um, listen, if you're feeling a little less homesick tonight, why don't you come by the bonfire tonight? We'll all be there,' she rushed to say, 'including Brett. I know he'll be worried once he finds out you're not here today, so...do him a favour and come by, okay?'