TWENTY SEVEN

'Tamsin? Tamsin, wake up.'

Her vision was blurry when they cracked open slowly. Immediately, bright light flashed in her eyes, and she recoiled, annoyed, burying her head under a pillow and groaning. 'Shhhh.'

'Come on. Get up!' Lina's persistent voice wouldn't be quiet.

'Goddamn it, Lina, what is it?' Tamsin snapped, lifting her head up and out from under the pillow. She winced as sudden light hit her eyes again. After blinking a few times, Tamsin finally noticed Lina perched on her bed, holding out a letter addressed to Tamsin. It was from Cooley's Law Firm. Suddenly, she was wide awake.

Her brother. Her father. The investigation. Her decision. She'd confirmed it with Holly, explaining that she wanted her brother to go into foster home custody. As much as it hurt her, it was the best thing for him. She would visit every-day until he could leave and be on his own.

Tamsin snatched the letter out of Lina's hand and ripped it open. Lina flinched but said nothing, waiting patiently for Tamsin to say something. Her eyes skimmed over the words quickly:

Dear Ms. Gilbert,

We are writing to inform you that the investigation being pursued has been successful. Trey Gilbert is currently being held in the custody of the Pennsylvanian Police Force and will remain in the company of other orphaned children until an appropriate foster home can be located for him.

Marcus Gilbert has been arrested and charged with the following:

- Possession of illicit drugs;

- Neglect under the Child Health and Safety Rights

- Possession of stolen items

Mr. Gilbert is facing a fifteen-year jail sentence and will be reassessed and possibly be released on May 20, of the year 2031.

If you wish to seek assistance for any possible issue, please contact the Pennsylvanian Police Force. You are also granted full permission to see Trey Gilbert within reasonable business hours.

Sincerely,

Holly Hardwood

Tamsin gaped for a long time. She couldn't move or speak. A thousand emotions filled her. Why hadn't Holly called her? Why had she sent a letter? Perhaps it was protocol. She didn't care; she was overjoyed. She knew only one thing: she needed to see Trey. Right now.

'What does it say?' Lina asked, biting her lip. In response, Tamsin tossed her the letter, sliding out of bed and into the bathroom. Quickly, she brushed her teeth and threw her hair into a ponytail. She skipped her shower and quickly washed her face, dressed and grabbed her bag. When she was out of the bathroom, Lina was busy getting ready, putting on hoop earrings and squeezing into her skinny jeans.

'Wait for me!' She called as Tamsin hurried out the door to her car. Tamsin was sort of impressed. Lina hadn't needed to ask to come—she knew Tamsin needed her to. It was nice having a friend who just knew things like that.

---

'I need to see Trey Gilbert,' Tamsin said, breathing heavily, as she leaned against the front desk in the police station.

They'd booked it to PA straight away with no stops. Tamsin had done 100 in a 90 zone, and had almost been pulled over several times. She was so anxious to get to her brother. What would he be feeling? Would he be relieved? Happy? Excited? None of the above?

The lady behind the front desks smiled kindly and gestured behind them to a row of plastic black chairs. 'Take a seat, hon. I'll have someone take you to him.'

Nervously, Tamsin sat down, clutching the sides of her chair impatiently. She couldn't wait to see him, to hug him. At least he was finally safe.

After a few minutes, a police officer with a friendly smile and greying hair appeared. 'Come with me, Tamsin,' he said gently. Lina stayed where she was.

He lead Tamsin down a long hallway, countless turns both left and right, and finally, to another room identical to the waiting room. He opened the door, waved Tamsin inside, and greeted the lady at the front desk cheerily. 'Hello, Maryanne! How's Roger and the kids?'

'I don't know anyone named Roger,' she joked. 'Except for my mum.'

He tossed her a strange look when she laughed/hissed at him and kept walking. The walls were what you would expect to see in a children's hospital, with stickers and positive messages. Tamsin was a bundle of nerves. She was going to see Trey again! Finally, they walked into what was named The Grey Room, and he was there, sitting at a table, colouring, with three other children by his side.

Tamsin didn't think: she just ran.

She swept him up into her arms before he was even aware she was there. Kissing his forehead all over and hugging him tightly, she ran her hands through his curly brown hair. He still smelled the same good scent. 'Trey!'

To her surprise, he didn't respond. She lowered him back to the ground—he was ten after all, and quite heavy—and studied his face for a long time. Still he said nothing. Didn't meet her eyes. 'Trey, what's the matter?'

Slowly, his eyes met hers. Instead of seeing her brother's eyes, she saw fury.

'What do you mean, 'what's the matter'?' He asked, appalled. He looked disgusted, an older version of himself. 'Don't you know what you've done?' He yelled. His behaviour was concerning. He was never like this. He was autistic, for goodness' sake. Had he somehow grown out of it in the space of a few months without her? Was that even a good thing?

The officer behind Tamsin cleared his throat. 'Miss Gilbert, if you need a few moments, I have to ask you to step outside. Many of the children in this room get a-n-x-i-o-u-s around arguing,' he said quietly; pointedly.

Tamsin's eyes burned with tears. Her heart sunk. Wasn't Trey happy to see her, the way she was so deliriously overjoyed to see him, alive and as well as he could be under the circumstances?

Tamsin grabbed Trey's elbow and lead him outside quickly. 'Trey, tell me what I did. What happened?'

'Dad's in jail because of you!' He screamed, tears overflowing his eyes. 'Don't you get any of it? He may have been a complete ass, Tamsin, but he was our father! Are you trying to send me off to some stranger's house? Don't think I don't know what's going on here.' He glowered at her.

'First of all, do not swear at me. Mom may not be here anymore, but I am. Mind your language.' She said firmly. 'And second of all, you may not see it right now, but I saved your life. Dad was not a nice man. He was going to ruin you. I had to get you out, no matter what it costed. I promised I would find a way and I did. Please don't shut me out. Not for this. Not for what was necessary.'

'Necessary?' He sobbed. He hiccupped, rubbing his eyes, and suddenly he was Trey again. Her little brother. When he looked at her, it was without resentment. His eyes were full of sadness. 'But now we have nobody.'

'I don't want to hear that talk. We may have lost mom, but we never even had dad, Trey. And we have each other. That has to be enough for now. It is enough, okay?' She knelt down in front of him, wiping his eyes gently. 'I will never leave you. I'm your sister. It's my job to annoy you,' she smirked, poking his shoulder. 'So don't you ever think otherwise, okay? I'm going to come see you every-day,' she said, voice breaking. 'You're going to love these people, Trey. They'll become your family.'

'I don't want a new family.'

'I know you don't. But this is best for both of us.' She sighed. 'Come here.' She patted his back as his tears soaked into her shirt.

'It's going to be okay,' she whispered. 'It'sgoing to be okay.' 

---