TWENTY NINE

'Everyone remain calm. Remain calm!'

The cold wind whipped Tamsin's hair back and forth. Her head felt like it was stuffed full of cotton balls. She couldn't move her body right. She was in shock. They all were. It had happened so abruptly. There had been no obvious motive behind anything. Was it all for morbid cruelty? To stir up trouble?

'Are you okay?' For once, Brett didn't touch her. She was glad for that moment. She couldn't handle someone touching her right then. She was in such a state of shock, and by the paleness in his face and the shakiness of his hands, she could tell Brett was, too. Along with the rest of the student body. One minute they'd been partying harmlessly in the woods, and the next, evacuating.

'No,' she said honestly. 'I'm not okay.'

To that, he had no response. They stood next to each other as still as statues as the students around them buzzed around crazily, terrified and anxious and remorseful. Some perversely excited by the scandal. Tamsin was too shaken up to be disgusted with them.

'We notified the parents,' Tamsin overheard one of the policeman telling Dean Chauncey. 'They should be here within the hour. In the meantime, get everyone inside and away from the scene. You might want to take a few days to let the news settle down before you resume classes...'

She zoned out after that. The red and blue police lights were soon out of sight as they were all quickly ushered back inside per the police's instructions. Tamsin just couldn't believe she had known the person. Rachel had hated her, but she had known her. And now? Gone.

It was wildly insane.

As Tamsin and Brett tiredly began to head inside, glad that Lina wasn't yet back from her trip, someone tapped Tamsin on the shoulder.

Tamsin turned, to see Eliza. She hadn't seen the girl in weeks. She'd avoided her after thinking she was the one who stole Lina's things and hurt her. It was stupid and she was ashamed for making up silly assumptions like that. She was almost relieved to see her now.

Eliza's face was tear-stained, and there was a softness to her eyes that hadn't been there before. She was sobbing, a downright mess. She and Rachel had been best friends. She would be heartbroken. 'Tamsin!' She cried, falling into her.

'Oh, gosh, Eliza. I'm so sorry.'

'She was—I mean—I...ahhh!'

Tamsin felt Brett's hand on her shoulder tighten. He'd never liked Eliza for some reason. She could be bitchy, but she was just so damn sweet. Tamsin couldn't help but feel bad for her. She'd always had good intentions, no matter the consequences.

'Do you need me to walk you to your dorm?' Tamsin asked, barely holding Eliza upright. She was a mess; couldn't even carry her own weight.

'No! I...I feel so alone.' She wailed, gasping for air through her sobs.

'Eliza, please, calm down. Let's get a hot chocolate in the cafeteria. Maybe some toast? I think they'd be open still. Nobody's going to sleep tonight. Uh...' Tamsin stumbled over her words. She couldn't do this. She wasn't good at this stuff. She glanced at Brett, silently begging for help. He knew what to do instantly.

He took Eliza by the elbow and lead her into the cafeteria. Mutely, he handed her a mug of warm milk and made her sip every few seconds. Soon she had drained the entire glass and had fallen asleep on his arm. She had been so distressed and the night had taken its toll on her. The poor thing was exhausted.

'I wonder if the police will rule it a suicide,' Brett pursed his lips.

'She was that kind of girl, I guess. Sad.'

'Yeah, but she had talent. Her passion kept her alive.'

'How do you know?'

'I used to go to high school with her. She was always quiet and reserved, but she had a real vision of her life.'

Tamsin grimaced. 'She hated my guts.'

'I think she hated a lot of people.'

'Not Eliza.'

'No. Not Eliza.'

'What do we do with her now?'

'I guess I'll take her back to her dorm.'

'I think we'd get caught.'

'Under the circumstances, they'd have to understand. Right? The poor girl has been through a tragedy tonight. Her best friend died. We owe it to her to at least make sure she gets to her bed safely. Much as I dislike her...she deserves better.'

'Wow. You know, I'm impressed with you. Your need—no, your gift—to put other people first. It really is inspiring.'

'Don't make me blush,' he joked flatly, stifling a yawn. He gathered Eliza into his arms and followed Tamsin into the elevator. 'Where even is her room?'

Tamsin frowned. 'I thought you knew.'

'Well, I thought you knew. I mean, you're her friend.'

'Sort of. I never knew where she lived.'

'She might not even have her card,' Brett groaned. 'You know what this means, don't you? That she has to come back to our dorm?'

Tamsin smiled a little. 'Our dorm? Don't you mean my dorm?'

He blushed. 'Sorry. I got too comfortable.'

'Don't apologise. I like it. I wish it was your dorm too.'

They gave Eliza Lina's bed for the night. Tamsin took off her shoes and put the covers over her. Then she rubbed her makeup off and took a hot shower, enjoying the calm feeling settling over her.

Brett was already half-asleep when she finished. It was 12.33 a.m. after all. She climbed in next to him, not being able to help but think of everything that had happened in the past week. It was all so insanely crazy. These things just didn't happen to normal people. Blinking away a tear, Tamsin sighed, willing herself not to cry, and closing her eyes, she fell into a disturbed sleep.

---