Chapter 19 - Feels Like War

I run until my feet really hurt, at which point I stop. Then I hear some voices behind me. Fuck. Why does this keep happening? I look around me. There's a Walmart across the parking lot in front of me, but I don't know if I have time.

Also, people get shot in Walmart all the time so I guess going in there isn't going to protect me from anything. If people get killed in these things, nobody's going to mind a couple of guys hitting a girl.

Instead of giving up so easily, I tear off my jumper and keep running. I run past the Walmart, giving it a glare as I do so, just to try and lift my spirit. Maybe I can get home, or find somewhere where I can call the police or-

No, no way. Why am I even thinking this? The police? Are you kidding me? They don't care, they'd say I'm making things up, and if they did anything to Luke and co, I'd only be in a load more shit than I am now.

I'm so caught up in my own thoughts I don't even see Luke in front of me, nor do I realise I've run into him until I crash to the floor and look up. For the second time in the day, my blood freezes. What's going to happen now?

He crosses his arms.

"WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?" I scream without warning, personally hoping that it will attract someone's attention. Indeed, someone looks at us, but they obviously assume we're a couple breaking up, because the old lady shakes her head and stumbles away. I groan internally.

"I have many." Luke answers, looking around. "But I'd say one of my priorities right now is getting rid of you."

"You've had plenty of chances." I answer cautiously, getting up slowly. Maybe, if I aim for the crotch... "Anyway, why are you getting your little friends S, C and N and the others to do your dirty work?"

I look around. Where can I run next?

"You do realise I've been head of the soccer team for four years in a row." He says bluntly. "There is no point in running."

"Well, if you're so excited to get rid of me, why don't you just do it?" I ask, making him scowl.

"Shut up." He hisses, looking around again.

"So tell me again, why aren't your friends doing this?"

"They're fucking wimps." He snarls. "I know what you've got going on, that stupid Rita thing, and I bet it's one of them. I suspect Nate, in fact."

My eyes widen, and I falter for a moment.

"They hate me as much as you do."

"Did you just accuse me of something, Luke?" Seth asks, appearing, breathless, between him. Luke goes red. "Because there is literally nothing I despise more than this." He nods towards me.

"Diet Coke." Caleb adds, stepping up next to Seth. I groan. Okay, there's no way out of this. "But I guess you're second, then." He nods at me. "Like you always will be at everything in life."

A small smirk forms on my lips. "At least I'm not second to last at school." I say to Caleb.

I know as soon as I've said it that I'm only making the situation worse, but I don't care anymore. I don't know if they're going to kill me, disable me in some horrible way, or just kick me around for five minutes and then get bored.

Either way, I need to run.

That's exactly what I do.

Until a pair of arms wrap around my waist and I fall to the ground.