Chapter 41 - All I Need

Answers to last chapter:

No. 1 = Caleb

No. 2 = Luke

No. 3 = Seth

No. 4 = Nate

"Put it down." I command firmly. "Seth, put it down." He grins, waving the sieve around. I groan. "Seth, I'm going to have to clean this up, not you. Put the freaking thing down now.

"I can help you clean up if you want." He responds, not stopping.

For some unknown reason, we decided we were going to try and make pancakes together. Maybe I only wanted to do it because it's something that happens in chick flicks and romances all the time, and I want my life to be like that.

So far, I can't exactly say it's been fun. I can say it's been stressful.

Very. Fucking. Stressful.

"Put it down, or get out of the kitchen."

"Now you kick me out?"

"OUT!" I shriek as he flicks the flour at me, getting it on my glasses and top. I groan, pulling it off my glasses and wiping them with a cloth before the flour gets into my hair. Then he decides this is amusing and dumps the whole sieve of flour on my head.

I scream, grab the packet and throw it at his face, leaving him shocked, taken aback, and looking like a ghost. "Ew." He mutters, brushing it off his cheeks.

"You started this." I threaten. "Do not make me get the eggs out."

His eyes widen, and he goes a little pale under the flour.

"How are we going to get this off?" He asks me.

"I have a shower upstairs." I answer. "As for you, you have your own shower at home. Or else you can try and brush it off." He starts trying to flick it off his hair. I grin, grabbing a handful which fell on the counter behind him.

"That's not how you do it." I explain, reaching up with my empty hand and running a hand through his soft, dark hair. "This is." I dump the handful in the middle of his head, and rub it in a little. "There you go." I step back, and he rubs his head a little.

I got to move away before he decides on a revenge plot, but he grabs my shoulder, pulling me into him, and, taking some flour, rubs it into my hair too.

"You know how hard this stuff is to get out?" I ask, wrenching myself free. That moment brought back too many memories of being held and beat up, but he doesn't have seemed to notice that. "Get off me." I growl, pulling my arm out of his grip.

"Sorry." He says immediately, letting go of me completely. I take a step back. "Sorry, I wasn't thinking."

"So that's what you do when you're not thinking? Is it just natural?" I ask, trying not to sound hurt. "It's just a reflex, or what?"

"No, no. I just... I think I've put everything behind me too fast."

I frown. "What does that mean?"

"I just kind of want to forget everything and move on with you, but that's easier for me than for you." He wipes his eyes with the back of his hand. "I shouldn't be doing this at all."

"It's not like I want you to always be aware of everything, but you need to have some empathy for me."

"I know, I'm sorry." He says quickly.