Chapter 49 - One of the Bullied

"Tell me again about how everything came about." I ask as I lounge in the pool, floating my back.

"Why?"

"I guess I kind of like hearing it." I reply with a small smile.

"Well, I don't know." He chuckles. "After Christmas, things were just different, you know?"

"But then how come Rita only came in like May?" I look up at him curiously.

"Admittedly, it took me a while to think of a way to... Communicate with you." He laughs nervously. "I came up with Rita in about March: I planned for a couple of weeks. To be honest, by the end of March I could've started, but I was terrified."

"That you'd get caught?"

"Well, sort of." He shrugs. "I was nervous I'd be caught, but I was also nervous to see how you'd react. I thought you'd ignore it, and I wouldn't even get a reply, and I didn't really plan on persisting too much because I didn't want you to think I was being a creep, or that it was a prank..."

"So you were more scared of what I'd think that what your friends would think?"

"I guess." He sighs. "I mean, I already knew what you'd think, in a way. I also knew that telling you who I actually was was going to be a hastle, but, hey, you kind of sorted that out for me."

"That was kind of lucky." I laugh. "Would you have told me, if we hadn't met?"

"It was summer, and so my chances of being caught were down massively, and you were no longer surrounded by the others, so, probably, I would've at some point." He sighs. "But it would've taken me a while."

We both laugh again.

"So, hey, I'm really glad you went out jogging that day and cut things short." Seth smiles. "I would've done it, though, I know I would've. I wouldn't have stayed hidden, because, hey, it didn't do either of us much good, huh?"

I nod, almost falling off the inflatable as I lose my balance.

"So what happens now, Seth?"

"Well, I was hoping that we can stay in contact whilst you're away..." He grins widely. "And when you get back we can go to the dance. Or, Zoe, we don't have to. If you prefer to go back to how things were... Well, I understand, but- But I don't want to lose you. So we could keep meeting in secret-"

"But Nate already knows." I interrupt. "And some random girl, too, remember, at the mall? And it's possible others have seen us in the street. How long until everyone figures it out?"

"Well, Nate's reaction should kind of be a way to see how other people will react...?" Seth says quietly. "He took it well. Sort of, anyway. After we spoke about it."

"Yeah, but Nate's one person, and we're talking like three hundred. And Luke. And Caleb."

"Well, I can tell you- Because they're my friends - that Caleb wouldn't mind. I don't think so, anyway." Seth runs a hand through his hair, looking down into the water. I glance at him as he does so. I don't want to lose him either. "Luke... Well, I don't know what Luke would say."

"And you won't choose having a simpler relationship with your friends over me?" I say suddenly. "Not involving me makes everything between you guys a lot easier, so how do I know-"

"Zoe, haven't I proven my loyalty to you?"

"Well, last time you saw your friends in public you almost hit me, so-"