Chapter 44 - Waiting

I don't wait until Seth sends me a text telling me he's outside, but I go wait downstairs in the hall, making sure the door is locked this time. I spy through the peephole, anticipating the moment Seth gets here.

I really, really need a hug and some comfort right now.

Facing Nate - and facing him in such a different way - has left me absolutely drained.

Leaning up, I take another look.

This time, all of the blood drains from my face as I see Nate and Seth talking - outside. On the street in front of my house, Seth has just pulled over and is taking his helmet off.

With a gulp, I unlock the door and open it slightly.

"So what exactly are you doing here, then?"

"Quit your little detective work, Nate, and just leave me alone. What I do is none of your business."

A breath I didn't realise I was holding escapes. For a split second, I'd thought they were in this together. I shake myself slightly, opening the door wider so I can see as well as hear.

I strain to hear as they continue to talk.

"What I do is perfectly my business when you're fraternising with the enemy."

Seth glances around, obviously trying to think of a response to that. I lift a hand slightly, catching his eye. We make eye contact for a second and he nods his head up quickly, trying to tell me to go back into the house.

I don't do as he says.

"So what exactly are you doing here, Seth?"

"What does it look like?" Seth snaps. "I'm visiting Zoe. Have you got a problem with that?"

"I'm sure L does." Nate replies, crossing his arms. Seth glances around again, looking nervous this time. "So what's the deal, Seth? Are you in it for cheap sex?"

My jaw drops.

"Is she blackmailing you or something?" Nate continues, making Seth scowl.

"There is no deal, Nate." Seth now confidently locks the chain on his motorbike. I draw back as he tucks his helmet under his arm, taking a couple of steps towards the building. "The deal is, Nate, I do what the fuck I want in my free time, and you keep your fucking mouth shut." He leans closer to Nate. "Or I'll make sure every single person in the school knows where you get your money from."

Nate now glances at the floor, shifting anxiously.

"You wouldn't."

"Well, I think you won't say anything about what you've seen today." Seth snaps. "You stay out of my business and I stay out of yours. Got it?"

"Seth, what the fuck are you doing here, though? Honestly, have you gone shit crazy or something?" Nate waves an arm at the house. "This is the fucking Zerd's house."

Seth leans back on his heels.

"Here's the thing, Nate. You tell, I tell. Either we both suffer, or we both keep our mouths shut." Seth rocks back. "And if you have a problem with what I'm doing we can always settle this now." He crosses his arms.

I open the door wider. I do not want Seth getting in a fight with Nate. Firstly, I don't want him to get hurt, and secondly, they are still friends. Although Seth has told me plenty of times he doesn't agree with them and he thinks they're stupid for doing what they've done, he's never said he hates them or anything along those lines.