Chapter 43 - You're Lying To Me

A/N - (edit) I just posted a new book! It's called Meme Girl and is going to be just as cool (or cooler) than this one. Take a look!

The doorbell rings, and I look up, surprised. Seth didn't say he was coming. I jog down, wondering why he's come.

Instead of him, I open the door to see someone I was not expecting.

"Nate?"

I take a step back and slam the door shut in fear.

"Open the door." He calls from outside. "I just want to talk, serious."

I lean against the door, trying to calm myself down.

This means Nate saw. He definitely saw. They've realised something's up with Seth.

Oh my god, he's going to kill me. He's actually going to kill me.

They've done something to Seth. Please say they haven't hurt Seth. He's their friend, come on-

"Zerd, please." Nate repeats. "There's something we need to talk about and you know exactly what it is."

I don't reply, sliding down until I'm sitting on the floor, leaning against the door. There's no way in hell I'm opening. I don't even notice that I'm sliding across the parquet floor as the door is slowly pushed open.

I try to close it again as I realise I didn't lock it and it can therefore be opened from outside, but in vain. He stands between the door and the frame, and as much as I hate him, I don't dare try and slam it on him.

"What do you want?" I mutter finally, getting up and trying to stand as tall as possible. It's kind of hard next to him. He's buff and tall and I probably look like an ant to him.

"You've been seeing Seth, haven't you?" He asks.

I reel back. There's no trace of malice or anger in his voice. To be perfectly honest, he sounds curious.

"No, I haven't-"

"Come on, I saw it." He says. "I come here in peace, I swear."

"How come?" I ask.

"Well, I figured if Seth is sneaking around with you then I should at least get to know why." He says, this time a little snappily. "What are you two doing?"

"Nothing, I'm not-"

"Cut the crap." He pushes the door open further, stepping into the entrance and closing it behind him. I gulp. He's now in my territory, yet I still feel threatened. Hell, threatened hardly describes my feelings right now. They're more like mortified.

"Nothing's happening between Seth and I." I say drily. "Except the usual, you know."

"That's not true, come on." His tone softens again. "I'm being serious."

"Well, I'm being serious when I say get the fuck out of my house." I snap. "The fact that you even think I'd see Seth is disgusting. The fact that you're here is probably making your skin crawl, so I suggest you leave right now."

He touches his skin discreetly, but I notice it. I smirk a little. Nate's not exactly smart. Luke's astute, and Seth's intelligent, and they're all socially smart (if you call what they do to me socially smart, anyway) but none of them are actually intellectually smart.

"I swear, you two-"

"I don't even know why you're here." I snap. "Get the fuck out of my house. I may be the Zerd at school, but you are currently trespassing on private property and I can call the police on you."