Chapter 31 - One Of My Bullies

BEGINNING OF PART II - ALLEGRO VIVACE

A/N - So a lot has led up to this moment: from the very first moment I started writing this book I had this all planned and when I first posted it I knew exactly who Rita was and how everyone would pan out. 

I would like this chapter to be dedicated to every single one of my readers, but there's someone in particular I'd like to thank: ReadWriteRun, you've been here since day one. You're the first to vote and comment almost every time and you've stuck to the book through everything. Thank you so much for brightening my day from the beginning to now. 

So, all I can say now is I hope you're not too disappointed. Thank you, honestly, for reading and enjoying this book.

Here is the reveal:

Saturday. Early in the morning. School's out. Jean's gone, and it's back to the routine that I've lived through for four years of my life. I had a month to breathe. Now it's back.

I read. I study. I revise. I can't concentrate on anything. I miss Jean already. Finally, I change into some leggings and a tank top, shove on my hardiest glasses, grab some earphones, and decide to run the risk of being caught and beaten up in the forest to go for a jog.

My parents aren't even up yet, so I leave a quick note, hoping that the Three and their cronies, as my parents, won't be up yet, and by the time they're up and ready for a taste of the Zerd, I'll be back in the safety of my house, studying Japanese.

The streets seem too long as I walk and walk and walk. Finally, I give up being so cautious and plug in headphones, trying not to care about who sees me anymore. I walk out of our neighbourhood until I reach the small forest-land between Portland and Lake Oswego.

Then I run. I run as if the hounds of hell were after me. I run as if everyone in my school was after me, chasing me wildly to kick me and punch me and hurt me and ruin my life.

I run until I can't feel my feet hitting the ground anymore, and I don't notice the twigs snapping under my soles, or the leaves crumpling down to a green mess as I step on them.

I run until I can't run anymore, at which point I lower it down to a jog.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I stop for a moment, pulling it out. It's Rita.

All this time, and I still have no idea how to even begin to guess who Rita is. I'm definite it's a guy, and by now I'm pretty sure it's not a prank. If it is, they'll be laughing pretty hard right now, because I've fallen in head first.

My theory is that it's either one of the Three's cronies who's developed a crush on me, or something along the lines, or a nerd who likes me. Or Luke. After all that's been happening, I have no idea. There are no other solutions, to be honest. It's a maths problem right in front of me, but I'm unable to solve it.

I stop, leaning against a tree.

From: Rita Tory

To: Zoe Meyer

9:12 7-7-14

Morning.

I hesitate to answer, but I finally give in.