Chapter 30 - Jean II

"I can't believe you're leaving." I sigh, my eyes closing as I lean back on the inflatable. "It's been so nice, having you here." I sigh again. "It's been nice to have someone to talk to."

"You'll have Rita, now."

"Yeah, but I still have no clue who Rita is." I answer. "And texting doesn't exactly cut it anymore. I want someone who I can talk to."

"Hopefully they'll reveal themselves soon, then." Jean shrugs, swimming over. With one small push, he heaves me off the inflatable and grabs it for himself, getting on.

I squeal, swimming back to him and splashing him. Then I swim over to the other side of the pool and grab the inflatable ring. After a few attempts, I manage to climb on it and paddle over to him.

"They're refusing to tell me anything, though." I explain. I haven't told him about the nightmares, but he knows - hell, the whole school knows - what happened in History the other day.

Seth happily told Luke, Nate and Caleb. Between them, they told the whole school. Everyone. They might have well just announced over the PA system. Everyone knows, even Jean with his crappy English.

"I'm going to miss you too." He chuckles. "I was so happy there was someone who spoke French here. Otherwise-"

"Otherwise Caitlyn would have jumped on you the first day and consumed your soul." I interrupt him with a straight face. "And it wouldn't be the first time that's happened, either."

"I was going to say I don't know what I would have done, but I guess what you said also counts." He says, laughing. "Ugh. Caitlyn terrifies me."

He grimaces.

"Did you see how she said bye to me earlier?"

"That was scary." I answer, thinking back. Caitlyn walked over to Jean and kissed him for like a minute, her friends literally standing guard around the two of them so Jean couldn't escape.

Jean tried to escape, trust me. In fact, I wondered why the fuck he wasn't escaping.

Reason No. 1 - Caitlyn is Luke's brother. Luke was standing there. Watching. And glaring threateningly at me.

Reason No. 2 - Caitlyn was digging her nails into his shoulders. If he'd tried to pull away, she probably would have ripped his skin.

Reason No. 3 - If he'd pulled away, Caitlyn would have made a huge scene.

"Ugh." He shudders. "I feel like I need to wash myself in holy water after that."

"You do." I affirm. "Then you can forget about Caitlyn forever more."

He grins. "That sounds very appealing, but sadly I think I'll have nightmares after this morning."

I gulp at the mention of the word nightmares, but I don't say anything. I dread to think what the history teacher thinks of me now... Even if she never liked me that much, she must detest me now.

By the time I snap out of my reverie, Jean is watching me, obviously thinking what the hell is happening. I cough and shift on the inflatable.

"I'm sure you're scarred for the rest of your life." I say awkwardly in an attempt to reanimate the atmosphere. Jean raises an eyebrow.

"You okay?"

"Yeah." I say curtly. "I was just thinking about someone."

"I think it's a shame that I'm leaving." Jean sighs. "It's been fun with you, here. It's been fun being in a place where people don't know your backstory and where they don't judge you."