17

JENNA'S POV:

Harry told everyone we'd go to my "flat". Right. British guy. I got so used to his accent, I almost forgot.

Brooke texted Harry's "mum" that she'd meet us all there. Have they been buddy buddying? Everything was so strange...like, my "family" (Brooke) and Harry's family were all connected suddenly, like it was perfectly normal. I guess that's good, because it means Harry's family was very open and caring. That's the feeling I'd gotten already. She kept looking at me in the hospital. Like, a LOT. I was starting to get weirded out from it. But she'd smile so warmly, all the way into her eyes, each time I caught her staring at me.

She was probably checking me out, seeing if she approves of Harry's choice. It made me nervous. But I didnt get a cold feeling from her, so....I guessed we'd see what happens.

She sort of hogged Harry on the way to my place, in the very back seat. She didn't let go of him the entire time. It was cute. I didn't mind. A boy needs his mom. And a momma's boy is always a good choice for a boyfriend, right? They tend to be very sensitive and loving. At least in my experience with momma's boy friends I've had. Everything was feeling positive so far.

We got to my place, but Steve had to break in with a credit card, because I didn't have any keys on me! They were in the clothes I was wearing that night. I had no keys. No cell phone...I felt bare! But for some reason, I didn't miss cell phones at all. I missed the iPod part of the phone, like crazy. But not apps. Not texting. Not carrying it everywhere. It seemed SO unimportant now, after dealing with life or death events.

My apartment is up 3 floors, in a large brick building. Plain and boring. I have one bedroom, but my living room is huge. A bathroom, kitchen, and that's about it.

I don't have a lot. I don't like a lot. I don't like clutter. I like neatness and order. I'm a dork, I guess.

Oh yeah, and my balcony, is my favorite spot. It's a good sized one, with two chairs and a small table between them. Brooke and I have spent many a night out there, drinking, talking, laughing, and bitching about guys and life. The balcony overlooks a cornfield, as I'm on the very edge of the city. I love that about my place. One side, I can see the city out the windows, and the other, I can see the burbs. Fields, farmers on tractors, and GREEN.

My other balcony, facing the city, is small. But I spend a lot of time out there anyway, just sitting with my legs dangling over, watching the world go by. My apartment takes up the entire third floor. I got a good rent price on it, because Brooke's cousin owns it. He owns Brooke's building, too.

She's been waiting for someone in my building to move out, so she can move in, but it's a nice place, so no one ever moves out, it seems. We don't want to live together. We're afraid we'd ruin our friendship and get sick of eachother. We're happy with what we have. Too many friends have broken up over living together. No thank you. She's all I have, so...we're good! But being in the same building would be awesome as hell. Plus, it'd be nice not to have to walk home at night, get kidnapped...ra.ped....yeah. All that. There's always that, don't forget.

Brooke got up from my couch. She was eating my ice cream. Ahhh. Ice cream. Haven't had THAT in a while! She ran up to me and hugged me tight, and cried again. I soooo didn't feel like crying anymore! I had been pretty dry all day, and it had been GREAT. My eyes still burned from yesterday.

But, her crying always made me tear up, so there we were, both crying on eachother's shoulder.

It was ok. It meant she loved me. She was the best friend ever. Ever since 2nd grade.

She'd been there for me for everything that happened in my life. Boyfriend breakups. My mom dying. My dad moving away. Work. School. Everything. I loved my Brooke. And her family was my family. Except they lived in California now. Otherwise, they'd be here to see me, I'm sure. Her parents were still together. She was an only child, which she loved about herself. She's funny.