Hand Squeezes

Hi! So this first oneshot takes place right after the Amazing Spider-Man 2 fight with Green Goblin (Gwen obviously didn't die)

PS-I'm sorry but this story kinda switches back and forth between present and past tense. Please tell me if you need any help understanding anything.

~Okay please keep in mind- the username at the bottom of each chapter was my first username and what I used when I first started writing on Wattpad. This is not my current username, but instead of going through each chapter and updating I am letting you all know here. It is still me here!~

Please read!

I could hear voices surrounding me, but can't see anything. My eyes couldn't seem to open; like they were frozen shut. I heard someone shuffling around me, which was followed by even more voices. But I couldn't make out anything. Then I hear someone's voice I can make out.

Peter's.

"Gwen, please, I'm so sorry," Peter said as he grasped my hand. "I didn't mean for this to happen; never. I love you so much. Please, Gwen, I need you." The tears were evident in his voice, and I wanted nothing more than to reach out and comfort him. I wanted to be able to whisper loving words into his ear, and assure him that it wasn't his fault; not at all.

But I couldn't. And there was nothing I could do. I tried squeezing his hand reassuringly, but even that seemed impossible for my weak muscles.

"I miss you, Gwen. It seems everyone does," Peter continued a few minutes later. "Your mom, Philip, Simon, and Howard. Aunt May, even Flash came by earlier." He sighed, "I know you'd probably want to hear their voices more than some idiot dope that let this happen to you."

"No, Peter, you're anything but a dope! Please don't leave, please keep talking!"

But I could already feel him beginning to stand up, "I promise to come by later, after visiting hours. That won't be a problem for me." I can picture the small smile that's on his face right now, and wish I could smile back to him. "I love you, keep fighting, Gwen Stacy." His lips brushed against my forehead before he was gone, all warmth in the room suddenly vanishing.

And just like he promised, Peter Parker came by and visited me everyday. He would grasp my hand and talk to me about everything. One day he was sitting next to me when he suddenly said, "Gwen, no one else seems to think you're going to make it. It's been a month. Your heart is still beating steady, but the doctor says that's all there is. No other signs of improvement. "He paused, before sniffling, "Please tell me that's not true. You haven't given up, have you Gwenie? Please tell me you haven't. You can't. Prove the doctors wrong, do something."

And for the first time in a month, I was able to respond. I was finally able to squeeze his hand. It was soft, barely anything, but I knew he would be able to feel it. And he did. "Oh my gosh, Gwen! Thank you." He said, leaning over and pressing a huge kiss to my cheek. "I love you so much, I know you will stay strong, because you're Gwen Stacy. You are strong."

I managed a weak smile.

A few days later, Peter was sitting next to me, playing with my hair, when he suddenly stopped. "Gwen, I need to tell you something."

I squeezed his hand reassuringly.

He took a deep breath, and started to speak, "Well, I was in the waiting room last night, and this girl came up to me. She um....well...."

I squeezed his hand again, trying to let him know he could tell me what happened, without having to feel nervous.

"She didn't seem to grasp the fact you were my girlfriend, and kinda...um....kissed me. But I promise I didn't kiss her back! I instantly pushed her away and left the room coldy. Oh gosh, now you probably hate me-"

I wished more than anything I could laugh or even better- cut off his rambling with a kiss. But instead I squeeze his hand- the only form of communication we have these days- as hard as I possible can.

He instantly stops talking, "You're not mad at me?"

Once again, I squeeze my hand. Of course I don't like the thought of some random girl flinging herself onto my boyfriend, it made me furious in fact. But it had happened, and now it was over. I knew Peter would never intentionally do something like that; he loved me, and that's all that mattered to me.

I began losing track of time, until Peter came in and spoke to me one day, "Gwen, the doctor says you haven't improved since you squeezed my hand the first time- which was a few weeks ago. You haven't given up, have you?"

In response, I squeezed his hand.

All of Peter's visits began blurring together, and I had no sense of time at all. For all I knew, a week could have passed, or even a month. Until one day, when I suddenly felt more alert than ever before. Slowly, very carefully, I was able to open my eyes, before being greeted by a blinding light. My eyes instantly closed, before opening them once again. Slowly, I began to make out my surroundings, until I saw something that immedielty made me soar in happiness.

Peter's head was resting on the side of my hospital bed, asleep. I carefully move my hand over and begin stroking his hair, until he slowly begins to stir. He lifts up his head, and my eyes are greeted with his familiar brown ones.

A look of pure disbelief crosses his features, before he leans over and engulfs me in a huge hug, being careful not to injure my neck. "Oh, Gwenie," He cried into my air. Peter pulled back, studying me, as he wipes away the tears that had unknowingly began forming. Then without warning, he presses his lips to mine. His lips were soft, his arms making me feel safe.

"Gwen," he repeated once we pulled away, and he began stroking my face. "Oh, I missed you so much." Tears were piling in his eyes.

"I missed you too, bug boy," I said as a huge smile breaks out onto his face. "Thank you for everything."

"What do you mean?" he says and repositions his hold on me.

"For not giving up on me, even when everyone else did," I said. "I heard every word you said, Peter. And I want you to know I never blamed you for what happened. Never once. And I love you, more than you'll ever know."

Peter's smile grew, and he says, " I love you, so, so, much. I could never give up on you, Gwen Stacy."

And then once again, our lips meet in another, sweet kiss.

A/N

So....what do you think? Sorry about the cheesy ending. Please read, comment, and vote!

Love_To_Write218