Chapter 10: Noodles

“You need to eat,” Carol whined, shoving the plate of noodles towards her.

“A-are ya sure?” Evangeline stammered, nervously holding her hands in her lap.

“Of course sweetheart.”

Evangeline watched in awe as the steam from the plate danced in swirls, almost trying to grab for something above them, only to disappear into nothing.

“What? You look like you’ve never seen food in your life,” Carol laughed.

“Yeah…just not this much of it,” Evangeline replied back flatly, still watching with wide eyes as the wisps of smoke intertwine.

Carol’s features softened and her smile faded, “This is a big plate for you?” she asked sadly.

Evangeline nodded, still keeping her eyes trained on the food in front of her. It was clear to Carol that the young woman sitting across from her had clearly not a proper meal in months. In fact, the plate in front of her was the smallest portion of food that she had ever served; they were running low on food.

“Go on,” Carol encouraged.

Evangeline carefully picked up the fork beside her plate and examined it as if it was gold itself.

“Pretty interesting fork hey?” Carol smiled.

Evangeline giggled excitedly, “It’s been awhile since I’ve seen cutlery.”

She carefully placed her fork into the middle of the plate of noodles, her mouth watered as she inhaled the divine smell of the plain noodles. Evangeline raised the fork after twirling it around her plate and entangling her first mouthful. She looked up at Carol as she brang the fork to her mouth and she gave her a reassuring nod, her stomach growled ferociously in anticipation.

She closed her eyes as her lips closed around the fork and she slowly slid it out, leaving the remainder of slippery noodles nestled on her tongue. Evangeline swallowed and sighed as the noodles slid down her throat. She wasn’t aware of how her stomach would react to the sudden change of food and it wasn’t until she had consumed her third mouthful when Evangeline stopped abruptly mid-twirling her fork and froze.

She felt a vile substance crawling up her throat that was unfortunately a familiar taste to the plate in front of her. Carol stopped as she watched Evangeline’s face pale almost at once.

“Evangeline… are you okay?”

Evangeline held one hand to her stomach and the other to her mouth then frantically shook her head. She bolted out of the room and into the nearest cell. She dove to the sink just as the remainders of her first meal in months came hurtling up her throat and into the unfortunate sink beneath her. She held onto her stomach and squeezed her eyes shut as she heaved up whatever was left in her stomach, including the little fluids she depended on. She heard footsteps frantically scamper up behind her and felt hands holding her hair back and Carol’s voice soothing her with her comforting words.

Then, much to the distaste of Evangeline, the bitter taste of her own blood rose up into her throat and she coughed it up unwillingly into the sink, coating it with streaks of dark red.

“It – hurts – to – breathe,” she croaked out between coughs.

“I’m so sorry Carol,” she spluttered out, wiping her chin that was caked with blood, “I wasted your noodles!”

“Oh don’t be silly!” Carol countered with a shake of her head.

“I’m sorry! I’m just not used ter that much food,” Evangeline apologised and sunk down to the floor, still clutching her stomach.