Chapter 24: Secrets

~~~~~~~Flashback~~~~~~~

"How about...Little Ass Kicker Junior?

"Nah too similar to Judith's nickname."

"Fine, what about Daryl Walker Destroyer Junior!" Daryl exclaimed and threw his hands up in the air while making crushing and stomping noises.

"Daryl!" Evangeline shouted in disbelief and punched him on the shoulder, "We're naming a child not a damn monster truck!"

"Yeah but -" Daryl defended.

Evangeline raised her eyebrows at him a questioning look that said 'Are you serious?'

Daryl sighed and let his hands fall in his lap, "Well if it's a girl, what about Princess Destruction? Wait NO, Darylina the Conqueror!" He exclaimed and pretended to shoot with an invisible gun and made bullet sounds with his mouth.

Evangeline laughed and shook her head, "God, what am I going to do with you Dixon."
"Anything you like ma'am," Daryl smirked and pushed a strand of hair off Evangeline's neck and started to lean in. Evangeline scoffed and pushed him away with a giggle.

"What?" Daryl defended.

"Not now," she whispered and bit her lip, "Later," she added.

Daryl groaned, “God you're such a tease."

She smirked and placed a kiss on his forehead.

Evangeline turned and walked out of the room, "Keep thinking of names!" She called out.

Daryl frowned and started thinking again. He smiled and nodded happily when he thought of 'Walker Slayer the 1st'.

"And no monster truck names!" Evangeline called out.

~~~~~~~Flashback Over~~~~~~~

Evangeline held her stomach that was straining from trying to sob quietly. She had a pounding pain, like a knife slowly sinking into her head with enormous pressure. Her cuts on her face were stinging from the salty tears that smeared her cheeks and her eyes were bloodshot and tired. Her body was numb and trembling from trying to suppress her overwhelming pain and hurt. Evangeline put her head in her hands as the grief retched out of the lump in her throat in violent sobs.  Just when everything was going fine and she had a brief moment of peace, she was slammed with another traumatic event that sent her spiralling back into the pits of the darkness she was trying so hard to escape.

Her monsters were dragging her by her ankles again and this time, she was finding it harder to hold on. She was sick and tired of things ending with people dying or broken. She could feel her heart lurch in her chest when she imagined herself with a small, delicate infant with smooth, silky skin and huge bright eyes and she imagined Daryl happily looking down at the infant while smiling and laughing. She knew that before Ricks group, he never had the responsibility or the knowledge that people relied on him, needed and trusted him so if she could give him that extra piece of hope that he was important, good enough and worth it, it would have meant the world to her seeing him realise that.

Now, because she couldn't do the most natural and normal thing that a woman is supposed to be able to do, she couldn't give him that. She couldn't give him anything. What did she have to offer? She still didn't understand why Daryl even chose to talk, touch or kiss her and still finds everything involving him surreal, like she couldn't really believe that it was happening to her. The first boy that every called her beautiful was Daryl who quietly whispered it to her in senior year at their final school dance, Evangeline just thought it was some sick joke until she asked him about it and he swore he meant it. She always second-guessed or didn't believe in any of the good things that happen now without thinking about the catch or the fact that it wouldn't last.