D A G G E R S

"NOT EXACTLY DYING TO hear it." I mutter dryly.

Warner ignores my remark and continues. "How would you both like a way out of the asylum?"

My eyes widen in surprise and I see Juliette jolt a little with shock. I feel a flutter in my heart, my mind lightens at the hidden meaning in his words. The words he didn't have to say.

Freedom for us sisters.

Involuntarily or out of habit, I don't know, I find myself glancing at Adam with a smile. My smile instantly drops when I remember his crude betrayal. Ice-shards prick my heart at the realization. Adam notices my fading smile but his impassive face betrays none of his emotions. The weeks I've spent with him, we've both had developed this sweet brother-sister love and respect for each other. At least that's what I was a fool to believe to be true. I almost shared everything with him. Sometimes more with him than Juliette.

He liked the twenty-tens music too.

I slap myself mentally for being so solemn inside. I flick my eyes back to Warner, he's also noticed the exchange. His emerald eyes don't miss anything. I grit my teeth as I repeat what he told us in my head, he's not telling us the whole thing. There must be a price for his proposal.

"What's the catch?" I ask, my voice clipped. "The part of the proposal that we have to fulfill to get the benefits you want us to have."

"We may require your assistance in the Reestablishment." He tilts his head as his penetrating gaze darts between us. Juliette is looking at her hands, so Warner meets my eyes. I try not to squirm and remain steadfast, somehow. Over my dead body am I going to be the first one to break the eye contact.

"And what, Colonel," The note of sarcasm high in my voice. "Can two mundane teenage girls be of help to you? We're not going to give you any tips on girls. 'Cause that, Colonel, is a girl coven secret."

"The secrets I'd love to hear from you both..." He pointedly ignores my remark probably thinking of me as a loudmouthed brat. Which I mostly am. "Would be about your gifts."

I feel the air leave my lungs and see Juliette start to shake a little. I grab her hand and squeeze it, for comfort. She doesn't squeeze back, though.

"I haven't gotten the single most absolutely possible idea about what you're talking about, Colonel." I say with my best poker face, my lips pursed. "We haven't received any sort of gifts during our stay in the asylum. Unless you count the crap they call food."

His lips twitch a little when he sees my inscrutable features.

"Gomez." He says, his voice cold and unyielding again. "Bring the footage."

The soldier brings a sleek tablet and hands it to Warner. I widen my eyes at the shiny tech as Warner moves his finger over it. I feel a wave of bewilderment crash in my head at his use of early twenty first century tech. I'm sure he must have more advanced and in-current-century tech. All my questions evaporate into the air as Warner turns the tablet to face the screen towards us. A video footage starts to play.

I see myself, Rachel, a wicked glint in her eyes as she pushes back the video Juliette back into the bed, trying to muffle all of her sounds. Adam is standing near the tray of food, looking at it with hesitation.