S U S T E N A N C E

MY JAW DROPS OPEN AS I look around the personal bedroom I have been allotted. A Kingsized bed, a red comforter silkily draped over it. Seeing all of this after living in a cell for a month is like looking at gold after digging in the dirt for centuries. The room is lit up with bright colored lights, despite that the dark décor of the room sets a dark mood. The walls and floor made of dark, polished marble. I can practically see my reflection on the floor. A few patterns are etched into the wall, intricate strokes of grey.

Paintings and writings have been banned so they must've thought to create designs that are more abstract.

I don't know where Juliette has been taken to. I know that we both have been given different rooms. I'll have to locate her room later. The two guards, Gomez and the other Ashton, had left me in my room. Alone. They told me to get myself cleaned and ready for dinner that would be held in a few hours. For a few seconds I had blinked at them, not really understanding what they had told me.

I hadn't heard word dinner in over a month.

In the cell, I used to ravage the trash they used to serve us like a starving animal. We used to be served mostly once a day, twice if we were lucky. The thought of proper food makes my tummy ache. Even when I was with my parents we couldn't really afford a lot of food and had a strict budget. I tell myself that it's perfectly human to have my mouth water at the thought of proper food.

Something tasty and not cardboard-like.

I eye the thick luscious mattress. The pillows look like over-stuffed marshmallows and the bed, the top of a mushroom head. I glance at the door over my shoulder.

It's closed.

I look back at the bed again, a smile kicking up the corners of my lips.

Kicking off my worn sneakers and I jump onto the bed. The whole mattress wobbles under my weight. The material is so soft that I moan out in ecstasy. I rub my arms all over the sheet and comforter and giggle like a school girl. My mind is so high in happiness. I don't care if I look like an idiot. I feel as if I'm wrapped in a soft cloud and it's taking me high in the sky.

  I let out a huge sigh and cuddle in the sheets and purr like a kitten. God it's been so long since I've touched anything this soft and comfy.

  I literally drag myself off the bed before I can fall asleep. I move towards another room which I think the bathroom. Without thinking twice I pull off my dry scratchy shirt and jeans and slip into the shower. After a few minutes of recognizing the buttons, I mange to turn on the warm water. It hits me like sweet raindrops. I bite my lip to hold back a whimper.

  So warm.

I take at least like an hour to scrub myself clean, I avoid using all the extra scented body-washes-I don't want to attract attention in a whole building filled with Reestablishment soldiers. But I use one whose scent I can't possibly resist.

    Black violets.

  My hair falls in smooth waves at my back, not rough anymore. I wrap a towel around myself, it feels like a soft blanket around my, now, soft skin. I step outside and take a whiff at my old clothes. They smell like an old parchment paper. Rough and dry.

  My eyes dart around my room, wondering if I can find some other clothes. I find a walk-in closet at the edge of the room. I open the door while gripping my towel tight around myself. My eyes widen in even more astonishment as I look at the at least more than hundred different styles of clothing. All silk and expensive.