M O O N L I G H T

ENERGY OF THE WOODS thrums beneath my boots. Leaves crunch under my feet, fatigue weighing down each step. The Moon is hidden beneath a blanket of clouds and I take comfort in the fact. I pause in the clearing between trees and look around in the darkness, heartbeat quickening with every breath. The bite of cold raises goosebumps on my arms.

Every creature pauses as utter silence descends in the woods.

My heart stutters as I feel a cool barrel press against the back of my neck.

Momentarily, fear creeps into my skin but then the survivor comes out. Instincts take over as I pivot on my feet and grab the hand holding the gun, ready to break it and yank the weapon from the person's grip.

He hangs upside down, legs locked onto the thick branch above, hands steady as they hold the gun between us as the barrel now touched my left collarbone. His head level with mine, eyes glowing in the dark.

He let me grab his hand, I realize.

I search for something to say.

"What'd I do wrong this time?" I ask in a low voice. My heart hammers against my ribs and I wonder if it'll jump out. "Was I too loud?"

Reece tilts his head to the side. I wonder if the blood rushing to his head is making him dizzy from hanging upside down. I certainly feel lightheaded.

By fear of him? Fear for him? I can't decide.

His face is tranquil, grey eyes calm. Yet I see the alertness beneath it—a coiled cobra.

"You're stillness was a giveaway." His eyes don't leave mine as his voice resonates in the silence. "In a natural surrounding, it wasn't hard to miss."

I purse my lips, almost successful in pretending that we were having a normal conversation on my maneuver. Rather than standing in a clearing of trees, absolute darkness around us—other than a few hovering lanterns placed by workers earlier. The light and dark clash against his hauntingly beautiful features.

"How so?"

"Nature is fluid." He holsters the pistol in his belt. "Life is fluid. With everything in the woods in motion and flowing with energy, it wasn't difficult to spot you. When you became still, the creatures around you deemed you a predator. They became motionless as you walked past them. I sensed it."

His mutation goes farther than I can even think. I wonder how dangerous he could be, if he let himself reach the zenith of his powers? I shudder to think of those who tried to go against him. But then again, I've been limiting my own mutation to only to its superficial limits.

I wonder how much all of us could do, if we dared?

If we took strength in our differences and boosted each other rather than tearing the other down.

We would become our own salvation.

Our own heroes.

We could save ourselves.

And maybe, just maybe, so could I.

"So when I move through a surrounding like this," I blink at Reece. "I should move with the flow of energy around me?"

"Yes," He gives a nod of approval, still hanging upside down. "If you don't want to get caught."

"Not everyone is as attentive as you." It slips out and I bite my lip with regret. He was discussing all of this because it was neutral ground—giving me advice as a mentor. I went ahead and made it awkward. "I mean, by the way I was moving, most people wouldn't have sensed me coming."