Chapter 05: The scars left behind

Life was different without Hakuyuu and Hakuren. The whole palace was filled with grieving after news were received that the emperor, crown prince and second prince passed away in the fire. Kouen had managed to replace Hakuyuu and Hakuren's corpses with two bodies of dead soldiers, hoping Gyokuen won't notice the difference. The two corpses were dressed in princely attires, the cloth stained with blood and tattered. Their faces were charred, and slightly burned, in order for them to look like his missing cousins.

Hakuryuu had regained his consciousness about two months after the incident. He had been in a coma, battling between life and death. The doctors told Kouen that the boy was lucky that he had been treated immediately, otherwise, with his scar and trauma, he would've passed. Hakuei, on the other hand, seemed fine, and didn't suffer from any serious injuries, just a few scratches here and there.

" Hakuei-dono, is Hakuryuu-dono alright? " Kouen had came to ask her one day.

She was sitting by the koi pond, her face solemn, yet showing no signs of breaking down.

" Oh, Cousin Kouen, no, I suppose it's now Kouen-dono, is it? " She bowed to him, but his hands had stopped her from doing so.

" Hakuei-dono, no matter how our status will change, you are still Hakuyuu-dono and Hakuren-dono's sister, I will never be able to take their place. " She blinked, and then relaxed.

" I see... Hakuryuu is doing fine, he's just woken up yesterday. Mother told us that she will marry the new emperor in a month's time, " Hakuei eyes drooped, as she returned to her seat, shuffling her feet.

Kouen sent her a pitying look. She may be an imperial princess, but she is nothing more than a child, only eleven years of age.

The Koi fish under their feet swam in a circle, before dispersing and swimming into different directions.

" Hakuei-dono.. " He paused, the words almost escaping his lips.

Should he? No, not yet. Now is not the right time. His mind told him, as he searched for words to say to the young princess.

" What is it, Cousin Kouen? " she asked, her dark blue eyes staring into his red ones.

" You are strong. I admire your personality, cousin, you are able to willingly accept your brothers' and father's deaths for Hakuryuu-dono's sake. But, you also have to let it out. You can't condemn it inside you for a long period of time, it will add stress to your body and mind. " Hakuei's eyes widen at Kouen's words, and then she averted her gaze downwards.

" I... I thought I have to stay strong f-for Hakuryuu s-sake.. " Her smile had faded, replaced with sobs, muffled by her sleeves.

" He is t-the only sibling... t-that I-I have left now... I have to p-protect him, " Her wails got louder, but not loud enough for passerbys to hear, she had her dignity to retain as princess.

" I-I've already l-lost m-m-my elder br-brothers, Cousin Kouen.. I-I don't k-know what I'll do if I were.. to l-lose Ha-Hakuryuu as well.. " Slightly shaking, Kouen reached for his younger cousin, and embraced her.

The gesture had surprised the girl, as her cries were abruptly stopped by his sudden action.

" You are not alone, Hakuei-dono. I feel the same way. I've known Hakuyuu-dono and Hakuren-dono ever since I was a kid, and they treated me as their own kin. To suddenly lose them like this.. " Hakuei looked up to Kouen's face, only to see the grief in his face. He had started crying, too. A war general who is said to be fierce and powerful, could break down like this too. Hakuei realized that he is also human, a mere human who could break down too.

Grabbing fistfuls of his robe, she burried herself into his chest, her wails getting louder as the moment passed.

Hugging the girl tighter, Kouen himself could not suppress the sobs that escaped his mouth.

I will avenge them, and one day, I will rid the empire of that witch!

The two royals wept in each others arms, not knowing two small figures witnessing their sorrow behind a large pillar.

The time that had passed would never come back, and the memories of the two princes had left the most impact on Kouen and Hakuei.