Chapter 34: The Inevitable pt.1

" Sharar! " The spell Ran uttered summoned water, forming large, formidable waves, towering over the Al-Thamen soldiers.

" Rentei-san, try to stay behind me at all times. " Ran whispers quietly, before proceeding to combine her water spell with lightning.

" Ramz al salos! " bolts of electricity appeared, followed by the thundering noises they made.

The gigantic waves swallowed half of the magicians that the woman summoned, the remaining sorcerers had managed to evade the attack.

" Tsk. That ain't strong enough, huh. " The girl clicked her tongue, preparing to fire one of her arrows.

Behind her, Hakuren stood up, clutching his Guan Dao in one hand.
" Ran, let me fight too. "

She gave him a disaproving look from the corner of her eye.

" This isn't your battle to fight, Rentei-san. You can't outmatch them with your current strength. " She knew that her blatantly honest statement might offend him, but it was the truth.

Next, she used the 5th type of magic, wind magic, to conjure sharp wind blades that could mince through objects at the slightest touch.

" Al rraqs shafarat al rriah! " The summoned wind furiously stormed past the Al Thamen soldiers, wiping no more than half of the bunch. It almost seemed like the wind was dancing, yet immediately destroyed the magicians the moment the wind touches their skin.

And they're already multiplying in number again.. She clicked her tongue, twirling her wand as she licked her chapped lips.

Hakuren gritted his teeth seeing that she could handle the battle well without him meddling into it, but nonetheless stood back-to-back with the girl. " Then at least let me watch your back. My brother and I dragged you into this, so- "

" Don't worry, it was bound to happen anyway, in one way or another. " the last part came in a soft mutter.

" Anyways, I'm trusting you to guard my back, Rentei-san. " A grin broke across her face, pressing her back against his.

" You definitely won't be disappointed. I wasn't called the " White tiger of the East " for nothing. " Hakuren twirls the Guan Dao on his hand, readily catching it as he corrected his stance.

" What a pathetic excuse of a magician you are, girl. You bring shame to us magicians. You could just conjure your borg up to protect yourself, why have that good-for-nothing prince protect you? " The woman scoffs, pointing at the blue-haired man.

" 'Prince'? " Ran's eyes widened in disbelief, as she turned towards Rentei, who seemed to be baffled.

" No, Ran this is not what it looks like-I think she mispronounced something, like you know- "

" What's there to be hidden, Hakuren-ouji? Girl, standing before you is the second prince of Kou, Ren Hakuren-dono. Or should I say, former second prince. " The crestfallen look on the girl's face proved to Hakuren that she had not expected this at all.

**************

Former... Second prince? Her brain simply couldn't process the information.

She recalled the conversation she had with Yuuichi the night he woke up after she brought him and his brother back home.

" The two of you were gravely injured when I saw you, I assume you were pursued by someone? "

" We were. And we'd have to be on the move soon. I'd like to thank you, miss. May I know your name? "