Chapter 31: Assassination attempt

The ost from Clannad, Reduced to Ashes is recommended to be played later in the chapter.

" Ali-kun, watch out! " Ran cried, managing to shield him just in time before an arrow hit him.

It pierced through her right arm, and they fell onto the floor, rolling.

She heard the shooter curse, before the footsteps grew softer, indicating that the culprit was escaping.

" Ran-neesan! Are you alright? " Alibaba panickingly inspected Ran, to find an arrow stuck on her right arm. They both sat up, as Ran nonchalantly looked at the arrow.

" I'm alright, Ali-kun. No need to fre-, " As she pulled the arrow out, Ran felt a numbing sensation course through her body. Her vision was darkening, and Alibaba's voice was growing fainter with every second passing.

Shoot! There's poison coated on the head! She gritted her teeth, casting the arrow aside.

" Ran! " Hakuren, who happened to pass by, witnessed Ran shielding the little blonde boy, and was struck by the arrow in his stead. The was staggering, and her face grew paler after she pulled the arrow out. Hakuren immediately sprinted to her side, just in time to cushion her fall.

" What happened here? " Alibaba, slightly frightened by the stranger's presence, spluttered when he tried to answer. So Ran answered in his stead.

" Th-There was an assassin targeting him. The arrow was poisoned, it'll be trouble... if any more people gets struck by it. So please, Rentei-san... find the culprit and defeat him. " Ran whispered, as her breathing evened out, and she fell unconscious.

" Ran! " Hakuren called her, but to no avail. The blonde boy beside him started crying, only to be comforted by the older male.

" Shh, don't cry. It's not your fault. Ran was only trying to protect you from the assassin. Now let's find her a room before we track that assassin down. " Wiping his snot with his sleeve, Alibaba complied, and let the stranger carry the girl to the nearest room.

*************

Sinbad was walking by the corridor when Ja'far appeared above him.

" Sin. An assassin is here. I'll be right back. " Ja'far whispered into the purple-haired man's ear, before nodding, granting the teenager permission to follow the assassin.

" Be careful, Ja'far. " Sinbad warned, his face darkened.

" You too. See you later. " Ja'far dashed off, leaving Sinbad alone in the corridor.

Well, now it was up to him to inform the palace of the assassin's presence.

**********

Judal was walking by the halls of the inner palace when he sensed a killing intent not far away from where they were, followed by a loud yell, which sounded exactly like Hakuren.

" Yuu, should we take a look? There are black rukh fluttering around, " In Hakuyuu's vision, Judal was pointing at thin air, nothing for him to be seen. But he knew that the boy was special. He was a magi, and he could see those bird-like creatures that are called 'rukh' (which Judal told him).

" I think Ren could handle it well enough on his own. For now, I think it's best for us to-" Hakuyuu's instinct reacted. He unsheathed his sword from its scabbard, and used it to shield his back, parrying the attack of whoever it was attacking him.

" Che! After I failed in killing that blonde brat, now I have to encounter a masked weirdo and a little kid! " The man clad in a servant's clothes cursed, deflecting a swing from Hakuyuu.