Chapter 22: Dungeon diving!

" ..n.. "

Someone was calling her name.

Who?

" ...an.. "

Who is it?

" Ran.. " The voice sounded like a man's, as her mind tried to process whose voice she was hearing.

" Ran, wake up. We have to get going. " Someone gently shook her body, as she weakly tried to pry their hands off her.

" Five more minutes... " She groaned, clinging further to something.

Clinging?

Her eyes immediately snapped open, to meet a wry smile, which belonged to Hakuyuu.

" Yuuichi-san? " She was puzzled, yet her hand was still clutching fistfuls of his robe.

" Yuu-nii, I caught the fish-Uwaaa! Sorry for interrupting you guys again! " Hakuren, who had just came back from the beach, became flustered and ran back to the said place, a scarlet blush apparent on his face.

" This was why I told you to wake up.. " He sighed, as the girl finally pried her hands off him.

" I'm sorry! It's a habit I've never been able to get rid of... " Her gaze was directed to the floor, scratching the back of her head.

Her memory floated back to the time they were in Reim. The morning after they arrived, Ran found herself sleeping in the same bed as Yuuichi, and the rest of the crew just had to come at a bad timing. It lead them to the conclusion that she and the masked man were lovers, which she strongly denied.

" Tell me the truth, Ran, Yuuichi. Are you two dating or something? " Hinahoho had asked the same morning they found Ran sleeping on the same bed as the twenty-two-year-old.

What had really happened was she felt cold, and sensed the bed next to her felt warm, so she just slipped in without opening her eyes. She had just broken a tradition from Kou.

And she just doesn't know when to stop doing so. Old habits die hard after all.

"....It's okay. We have to get ready for now, if that's fine with you. But next time, do stop touching me in weird places. " He gently pat her head, making her flinch.

" I'm sorry! " Ran couldn't bear to look at him in the eye, so she averted her gaze to the ground instead.

" Are you two done yet? The fish are going to burn if you two stay like that any longer! " Hakuren yelled, grilling the fish above the fire he created.

" Coming! " Ran replied, dashing out of the hut.

Hakuyuu could only sigh at the girl's antics. She painfully reminded him of his dear younger sister.

**********

" Ran... How many more hours until we get there? " Hakuren asked, his voice was raspy from all the walk they did.

" Get a grip, Ren. It's less than what I've trained you with. " Hakuyuu replied, continuing to walk without even breaking a sweat.

" We're pretty close! I can see it already, just a few more miles! " The girl grinned, her face sparkling under the sun.

" We've been walking for three hours, but why aren't the two of you sweating even in the slightest?! " Hakuren pointed at the two, who were looking fine as always.

" That's because you lack stamina, "

" That's because you've been slacking off. " The pair said at the same time.

" So mean! But really, a few more miles? How far are we from the actual location? " The man fake-cried, but then returned to his normal expression.

" Just kidding. I wasn't being serious when I said "a few more miles", cause' it's actually right in front of us. " The girl pointed to the building in front of them, tall and towering over their figures.

Hakuyuu observed the building carefully, the doors were inviting him to come in, as he felt his adrenaline rush in his veins.

" Now then, one last question before we enter the dungeon. Do you wish to gain power? Are you willing enough to risk your life for it? Because if you are unable to conquer it, you will never get out of the place. " Ran asked, patiently waiting for their answers.

" I'm willing enough. Besides, this 'dungeon capturing' sounds interesting, plus if I'm lucky, I might be able to gain more power! And, with this.. " Hakuren turned to his brother, who mirrored his expression.

" We'll be able to restore what we lost. Both of us are ready to risk our lives for this, so if either of us dies, the other might be able to settle the conflict back in our hometown. " Hakuyuu said, locking eyes with Ran.

" Well! Then I have nothing to worry about, seeing that the two of you are ready to risk your lives to change your hometown for the better. As promised, I'll definitely help the both of you attain the power of the dungeon, no matter what! So, you guys ready? " She extended her hands to the brothers, waiting for their answers.

" Yeah. " Hakuyuu nods, and held her right hand.

" Ready as I'll ever be! " Hakuren grinned, and took Ran's left hand.

" Alrighty then! Dungeon diving we go! " The three of them ran towards the dungeon's portal, and disappeared.

Last day of school. We had barbeque party today, grilling chicken and stuff, and games too. Took pictures with my fellow batchmates, Grade 9 students, as a memento. Cried so much with my best friends, promising a long-lasting friendship. We'll be going to different schools, yes, but our hearts will always remain together as one. I may sound childish, so please forgive me, I am but a middle school student.