Chapter 23: Inside the dungeon

" So this is how a dungeon looks like from the inside.. " Hakuyuu admired his surroundings, Torran letters were covering the tall walls of the dungeon, it had piqued his interest.

These inscriptions... they seem so familiar that I could understand them easily... His hands traced the carved figures on the walls, admiring them with every ounce of his being.

His teachers told him that he had a talent in learning the Torran language. The first time he was introduced to the language, Hakuyuu immediately knew how to read the letters, despite only being four years old. It wasn't until later that he had started to study the language and culture, finishing the entire collection of books the imperial archive had compiled in less than ten months.

But in truth, he wasn't talented. He just knew how to read them, like it was already implanted in his brain before he was born. And yet his mother-no, that hag only forbid him from studying more, locking him in his room once because she caught him reading one of the scrolls containing the Torran culture. Though, he opted reading books written in his mother tongue, the Kou language, during his grounding.

Hakuyuu could never comprehend why, as she allowed Hakuren and Hakuei to read them, but not him. It was as if she didn't want him to know about something, something behind the Torran language and their history.

Ah, my bad habit is showing again.. Snapping out of his trance, Hakuyuu just realized that his brother and Ran were nowhere in sight. He always had a habit of forgetting his surroundings whenever something piques his interest-especially when it is connected to culture, history, and traditions. As the first prince of Kou, he had received education regarding the ancient Torran language, and his skills had surpassed his mentors in no time.

Shaking his thoughts away from the inscriptions, Hakuyuu observed his surroundings, the place where he was currently at was split into two four branches, each branch leading to a different door. They were brown, blue, red, and green.

This djinn is probably testing me. There weren't any dungeon creatures or traps like what Kouen had reported during his expedition. Then, it has to be... Something clicked in Hakuyuu's mind.

The djinn was testing his wits and knowledge. It had to be that if the said djinn didn't dump creatures on his face and he had to fight them.

Let's see, if I were to choose on of the doors, I'd rather look for instructions first. Hakuyuu thought, as he walked around the room, trying to find any clue that would lead him to making the right choice. He was being either logical, or completely method-oriented.

Scanning the room, Hakuyuu noticed a part of the room that he had not seen previously. It had a small parchment attached to the wall, words were written on it.

Thou who possesses wisdom and knowledge, answer these given questions with a pure mind and clear heart. When the deed is done, the door leading to the right path shalt open, and power shalt be bestowed on thou by this dungeon's djinn. However, if the wrong answer is given, then thou shalt remain in this dungeon for eternity.

Hakuyuu silently read the requirements. He needed to acquire this power, no matter the risk.

" I accept the terms. Please begin, " As the word escaped his lips, the parchment glowed, producing a blinding light. His surroundings began to disappear, replaced with a scene he was awfully familiar with. The battlefield.

Very well. Let the trial begin. A soft voice resonated, as Hakuyuu steeled his nerves upon what he is going to undergo.

*************

" Tch! These monsters sure are troublesome! " Hakuren grumbled, slashing yet another one with his spear.

" I know! There's like, no end to them! " Ran replied, using her arrow to shoot a reproaching dungeon creature.

The two of them landed inside the dungeon together, whilst Hakuyuu was separated from them, nowhere to be seen.

" Anyway, we've got to move! We won't get anywhere with just slaying these things off all day-, " Ran felt her feet leave the ground, only to realize that she was being carried like a sack by Hakuren.

" R-Rentei-san! Put me down! " She protested, while the said person kept running, the dungeon creatures hot on their trail.

" Sorry Ran! Just stay put for a while! It'll be faster this way, " As he replied, Ran felt Hakuren increasing his speed, while carrying her at the same time.

True to his words, the dungeon creatures were already far behind them when Ran looked back, the man's feet was sure quick.

**********

" So, where are we now? " Hakuren studied his surroundings, his eyes trying to adjust to the dark. They arrived in a cave, with Ran leading the way. She used one of her arrows as a medium to infuse her magic in, and murmured a light spell.

" If I'm not mistaken, we're going on the right path. This should lead us straight towards the treasury room. " The girl relied, taking note of her footing. She had to be careful if she doesn't want both of them to slip and fall. It would be cumbersome.

" The treasury room? What's that? " Hakuren lifted his right eyebrow, his hands on the cave walls as support.

" It's where the djinn would reside. Usually, they will remain asleep inside the room until someone enters the said place. The djinn dwells in an item made of metal inside the room, and the person who wants to conquer the dungeon would have to find the item, thus awakening the djinn. Then, the djinn will choose the person who will become their 'king', granting the said person the djinn's power. " The red-eyed girl explained.

" Wow. You seem to know a lot about these things. It doesn't look like you're only in your teens-no offense, alright? " Hakuren immediately countered, not wanting to make the girl feel offended.

" It's fine! We're cool, okay? I'm not the type of person to be offended just by those kind of things. " She laughed, hitting his shoulder.

It's because you never knew either. She mentally added, a wry smile replacing her laugh.

Just then, Ran heard a rumble from not far ahead, and handed the glowing arrow to Hakuren.

" Stay back, Rentei-san, " She stepped in front of him, her senses sharpening.

Just then, another set of rumbles could be heard, and suddenly the ground cracked.

" Ran! Watch out! " With a warning from the latter, Ran managed to evade the falling block of the cave's ceiling, but found herself falling into the cracked ground.

Hakuren tried to pull her back, but she knew if he did the man would fall along with her.

" Ran! " He yelled, still holding onto the arrow, and his other hand holding hers.

" Go on ahead! I'll catch up with you later! " She yelled, trying to release her hand from his grip.

" But I can't leave you here, what will Yuu-nii say about it?! " He protested, still not letting her go.

" I'll be fine. I'm a magician, remember? Just think about reaching the treasury room. I'll be there before you know it. See you there, Rentei-san. " Releasing her hand, Ran fell into the crack, as her borg activated.

The rumbling began once again, and the ceiling was crumbling apart. Hakuren had no choice but to move forward.

*************

" See you there, Ran. " He had to believe her, and proceeded to run.

After Hakuren left, a yellow glow enveloped Ran's borg, swallowing her completely in the light.

As she opened her eyes, the djinn was right in front of her, she was already inside the treasury. As the djinn looked down on her, her lips breaks into a smile, a melancholic expression spreads across her face.

" Long time no see, Buer. "