Chapter 41: Their true lineage

Hola, amigos! How are you guys? I feel as if I've just came back from the dead with a mountain of tasks clouding over my head for the past few months. Anyway, remember that Yuzuru guy from the previous chapter? Yeah, that Yuzuru guy is gonna play an important part in this chapter, so keep your eyes open for it! XD 

See the notes at the end of the chapter for further clarification.   

***************************

After what felt like an eternity of convincing the villagers that the bandits won't be returning to raid the village and settling both Judal and Morgiana to their shared bed (courtesy of the villagers), Ran invited the two Kou princes to join her at the low table provided inside their ger, prepared to answer as many questions as they would throw at her.

Speaking in a hushed tone, she broke the ice that seemed to grow even thicker with every passing second between the three of them.

" So, is there anything you would like to ask? Regarding my true identity, that is. " Her body leaned slightly forward against the wooden table, observing the brief glances exchanged among the two brothers.

" Ah. Then I'd like you to answer this honestly, Ran. Just what are you? " Hakuren gingerly raised his hand, eliciting a chuckle from the girl due to the expression plastered on his face.

" Me? I'm a human. Just like the two of you, " She shrugged, tilting her head slightly to the left.

" That's not what I meant! Just who are you in the first place? What is your true identity? What motive do you have in aiding us since the beginning? And lastly, why didn't anyone tell me that I have a djinn now? " The lotus prince raised his voice slightly higher, causing a Ran, Hakuyuu, and himself to freeze when they heard a quiet grunt coming from where Judal and Morgiana were.

Ran tiptoed over to see whether either of the two had woken up due to the ruckus, but it seems that both were out cold; with Judal having his left arm rested on Morgiana's face, the girl's face slightly disgruntled upon feeling the weight on top of her.

Releasing a sigh, the magi returned to her seat, directing a glare towards Hakuren; to which the latter only responded with a "sorry!" in a quieter voice.

" Well, I'll start answering all four of your questions. " Ran coughed into her sleeve, before a serious expression replaced her glare, gone was her playful and cheery persona.

Hakuyuu and Hakuren simultaneously nodded, as both males leaned forward in interest, eyes never leaving the girl's figure.

The girl caught sight of Hakuyuu's gaze on her; it almost feels like he was drilling holes on her with how intensely he was looking at her. It was as if nothing can distract him.

What's wrong with him? She ignored the slight tug within her heart, and continued talking.

" I shall introduce myself once again. My name is Ran, and I am a magi. Although I might have regarded myself as an ordinary magician, this is the truth. I was born and raised in a small village in the east of Kou until the age of five. " She made sure to emphasize on her true identity, and ultimately enjoyed the gobsmacked-scratch that, Hakuren was totally slack-jawed.

" A-A m-magi?! W-Why? H-how?! " Hakuren turned his head towards his brother, who didn't seem surprised in the least.

" I haven't finished answering your third question, Hakuren-san. Please be patient, " Drawing a deep breath, Ran resumed her explanation.

" At the beginning, I simply thought it was right to aid two victims of a big fire, especially when your stomach had been continuously bleeding without showing any signs of stopping. " The crimson head pointed at the younger Ren, as her lips broke into a wry chuckle.