Chapter 26: Years of exploration (part 2)

Age 9 (part one) , Kingdom of Balbadd

" I hopped on the wrong caravan again?! " She groaned as the driver told her.

" Yeah, little missy! You shoulda' asked before ya' start hop'n into someone's carriage, " The driver exclaimed, shrugging as he whipped the horse.

I'm running out of money.. I don't even have a single coin on my body right now.. how can I get something to eat? Ooh, why didn't I chose that food production zemi instead of healing? She had used all of her remaining money to pay for the caravan ride. And it turned out that she had rode on the wrong caravan. And after the three months she spent on just the journey, it certainly wasn't worth it.

And.. the said caravan had brought her to Balbadd, the infamous maritime country and the second largest trading centre in the world.

Stepping out of the caravan, she thanked the driver, and wracked her brain to think of ways on how to make money.

*************

It certainly didn't work, as Ran found herself sitting in a street corner after the sun set. With an empty stomach and a tired body, she was thinking on how much longer would she survive without food and water.

Will I die before I can see my sibling? They should be two years old, almost three by now. Her mind hopelessly pondered as she closed her eyes, before something hard was pressed against her cheek.

" Are you alright, little girl? " A hooded man offered her an apple, making her blink.

" Is this.. for free? " She gratefully took it in her hands, looking up to see her savior's face.

" Yes. Take it, it's on me. " The man nods, as Ran took a bite into the fresh, juicy fruit.

" Thank you so much, uncle. You really saved me there, you're a hero! " She exclaimed, hugging the man.

" You are welcome. But I should- "

" Before you leave, I'd like to give you something as a token of gratitude. " Ran took the man's right hand, and transferred some of her Ki into the man's body. Afterwards, she ruffled her bag to find some of the herbs she brought.

" Here, these are medicinal herbs, they're good for getting rid of insomnia. " The man was taken aback, he thought the the girl had noticed the bags under his eyes, proving her statement correct.

" You are a magician? " The man gaped, looking at the beaming girl.

" Yes, though I had dropped out from my studies. I had to return to my family but hopped onto the wrong caravan, silly me, " She felt embarrassed, and scratched the back of her head.

" But you barely look like you are eight years old, are you sure that you can travel around on your own? " Offended by the man's statement, Ran shook her head, and pouted.

" Almost nine, actually. And I've been traveling around the world since I was five, almost caught into slavery once, and kidnapped all the way from Parthevia to Magnostadt. No biggie, " Ran shrugged, biting a large chunk of the luscious fruit.

" I see. Then would you mind staying with me? I am certain you have no place to stay right now? " The man offered, but Ran shook her head. She knew better than to trouble people.

" Thank you for the offer, uncle. But I don't want to trouble you any further. I'll find a job here in Balbadd and then I'll catch a ship back to my hometown, " She politely rejected his offer.

" I see. But I have a job to offer you. Would you mind- "

" Watch out! " A pair of daggers flew past them, red wires attached onto the blades. Ran protected the both of them with her borg, while the hooded man was shocked, frozen on the spot.