Choose

They were back at the TARDIS. "Okay, I hate this, Doctor. Stop it, because this is definitely real. It's definitely this one. I keep saying that, don't I?" Amy said. "Why is it so cold?" Leila asked, folding her arms across her chest.

"The heating's off," The Doctor replied. "The heating's off?" Rory asked. "Yeah. Put on a jumper. That's what I always do," The Doctor said. "Er, yes. Sorry about Ms. Poggit. She's so lovely though," Rory said.

"I wouldn't believe her nice old lady act if I were you," The Doctor said. "What do you mean, act?" Amy asked. "Well, can't you switch the heating back on?" Leila asked.

"Can't love. Everything's off. Sensors, core power. We're drifting. The scanner's down so we can't even see out. We could be anywhere. Someone, something, is overriding my controls," The Doctor said.

Then, a little man in a red bow tie and tweed jacket suddenly appeared on the stairs behind The Doctor. "Well, that took a while." They all looked at him. "Honestly, I'd heard such good things. Last of the Time Lords, the Oncoming Storm. Him in the bow tie," The man said.

"How did you get into my TARDIS? What are you?" The Doctor asked. "What shall we call me? Well, if you're the Time Lord, let's call me the Dream Lord," The Dream Lord said. "Nice look," The Doctor said.

"This? No, I'm not convinced. Bow ties?" The Dream Lord said. The Doctor slowly pulled out a bouncy ball and threw it at the Dream Lord, and it passed straight through his body.

"Interesting. I'd love to be impressed, but Dream Lord. It's in the name, isn't it? Spooky. Not quite there," The Dream Lord said, then he pops up behind them. "And yet, very much here."

"I'll do the talking, thank you. Leila love, want to take a guess at what that is?" The Doctor asked. "Dream Lord. He creates dreams," Leila said. "Dreams, delusions, cheap tricks," The Doctor said.

Leila stood between her sister and The Doctor. "Oh, Leila, have to sort your men out. Choose, even," The Dream Lord said. Leila frowned. "What do you mean choose?" She asked. "You about to find out," The Dream Lord replied.

"Where did you pick up this cheap cabaret act?" The Doctor asked. "Me? Oh, you're on shaky ground," The Dream Lord said. "Am I?" The Doctor said.

"If you had any more tawdry quirks you could open up a Tawdry Quirk Shop. The madcap vehicle, the cockamamie hair, the clothes designed by a first-year fashion student. I'm surprised you haven't got a little purple space dog just to ram home what an intergalactic wag you are," The Dream Lord said. "Where was I?"

"You were-" The Dream Lord cut Rory off, "I know where I was. So, here's your challenge. Two worlds. Here, in the time machine, and there, in the village that time forgot. One is real, the other's fake. And just to make it more interesting, you're going to face in both worlds a deadly danger, but only one of the dangers is real. Tweet, tweet. Time to sleep."

Then there was the bird singing again. "Oh. Or are you waking up?" The Dream Lord said. Leila, Amy and Rory felled a sleep. The Doctor tried to stay awake, but finally fails.

They woke up back at the Care home lounge. The old people were gone. The Dream Lord walked in wearing a dark suit and tie, with an x-ray in his hand. "Oh, this is bad. This is very, very bad. Look at this X-ray. Your brain is completely see-through. But then, I've always been able to see through you, Doctor."

"Always?" Amy asked. "What do you mean, always?" Leila asked. "Now then, the prognosis is this. If you die in the dream, you wake up in reality. Healthy recovery in next to no time. Ask me what happens if you die in reality?" The Dream Lord said. "What happens?" Rory asked.

"You die, stupid. That's why it's called reality," The Dream Lord said. "Have you met the Doctor before? Do you know him? Doctor, does he?" Leila asked.

"He's been around, our boy. But never mind that. You've got a world to choose. One reality was always too much for you, Doctor. Take two and call me in the morning," The Dream Lord said and then he vanished.

"Okay, I don't like him," Rory said. "Who is he?" Amy asked. "I don't know. It's a big universe," The Doctor replied. "Why is he doing this?" Leila asked. "Maybe because he has no physical form. That gets you down after a while, so he's taking it out on folk like us who can touch and eat and feel," The Doctor said.

"What does he mean, deadly danger, though? Nothing deadly has happened here. I mean, a bit of natural wastage, obviously," Rory said as The Doctor took off the sweater and put on his jacket again. "They've all gone. They've all gone," The Doctor said.

They ran outside. Kids were playing and the teacher was trying to keep control of the children. "Stop. You two, over there. Come along, where's the rest of you? Come on, come on. We're going up to the castle now. All of you, come on."

"Why would they leave?" Rory asked. "And what did you mean about Ms. Poggit's nice old lady act?" Amy asked. "One of my tawdry quirks. Sniffing out things that aren't what they seem. So, come on, let's think. The mechanics of this reality split we're stuck in. Time asleep exactly matches time in our dream world, unlike in conventional dreams," The Doctor said.

"And we're all dreaming the same dream at the same time," Leila said. "Yes, sort of communal trance. Very rare, very complicated. I'm sure there's a dream giveaway, a tell, but my mind isn't working because this village is so dull!" The Doctor said.

They saw a motorcycle approaching them. "Hey, nice motorcycle," Amy said and Leila smirked. "Yep," She agreed. The motorcycle stopped and a guy took of the helmet. Leila's eyes grow wide and so did Amy and Rory's. The Doctor frowned at the three and looked back at the guy.

The guy smiled as he walked to the four. "Hey, love," He said to Leila and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Shaun . . ."