Chapter 8

"A... Adam I need to go, now!" I shouted and jumped to my feet. Then quickly took my last bite of the delicious grilled cheese sandwich I'd ordered.

"What's the hurry? Didn't you tell your mom that you were going somewhere to get tutored?" He asked.

"Uhh... y..yeah of course I did," I lied. "I was just supposed to be home by ten."

He raises one of his perfect eyebrows at me. "Ten? Isn't it only..." he pauses to check the time on his phone, and then his eyes widened. "Ahh man! You're late, you're beyond late." He said with concern in his voice.

"My mom's going to kill me!" I add, with fear staining my voice, while taking off my beanie, and entangling my fingers in my hair as I ran my hand through them. What am I going to do, I thought. Mom's going to flip when she finds out that I snuck out without her knowledge. My worries sent chills up and down my spine, giving me goosebumps.

"Don't worry, I can take you home. I..I have a car." He said, relieving my anxiety.

"Oh really, great!" I said full of enthusiasm, putting my beanie back on my head. "Lets go before its too late!"

When I said that Adam hurried to his feet and I forcefully shoved my heavy math book, and notebooks into my bag. Then threw my bag onto my back.

I turned around toward Adam to see if he was ready. I believed I saw him leave two bills on the table with Bejamin Franklins face on then. Which means he left a two hundred dollar tip.

I was stunned, because it's not often when someone leaves a tip that large. Then I was snapped back into reality whan I heard his voice.

"Okay, i'm ready, lets go." He said hurriedly. Adam took the lead as we rushed out of the cafè, to his car. My knee ached with every step, but I refused to let the pain slow me down.

What felt like a long time was actually just a few minutes to get to his car. It was parked on the far end of the parking lot, away from all the other cars.

I expected him to have an expensive car, like a Mercedes or a Cadillac ATS Coupe, at least. But when I laid my eyes on it I could already tell that it was beaten up and old. Also, because it was so dark outside I couldn't exactly tell what type of car he had.

I guess that wasn't important right now, what was important was for me to get home before my mom beats me there.

When Adam and I entered the vehicle, he quickly took his key out of the front pocket of his jeans, and twisted the key in the keyhole.

The engine started. Broom Broom Broom------Then, it went flat.

Oh no, I thought.

He tried again, Broom Broom Broom------But the same thing happened again. I looked again at my wristwatch, and it read ten fifty, my anxiety started to flare up inside me again. Then as I was panicking, I saw Adam bow his head with is eyes closed and put his hands together, and then started to whisper. Oh no! He better not be praying, I thought. Agh! I feel a weird energy whenever someone prays or does some other religious thing, it makes me feel sick. For his sake I tried to ignore my disgusted feelings.

Then while I was in my bitter thoughts, I heard the car make the sound that we've both been waiting for.

BROOM BROOM BROOM------The engine started.

As the car started to purr, Adam popped his head up with a big smile growing on his face, and then he gave thanks to Jesus for starting the car. Agh! Oh my gosh, why is he giving thanks to Jesus for something, that was simply just a stupid coincidence. I thought, as he pulled out of the cafè parking, heading for the street.