Chapter 65

A/N: Hey guys, thanks for sticking with this story, I seriously appreciate it!:)
Also, please don't forget to vote and comment.
Stay blessed!
~Jiana~

________________

Adam continued to stare out of the window as I stood in my place, behind him, still shocked at what he'd said. Will I really never see him again if I ever wake up? Would the memories of our time together soon escape from the walls of my mind, piece by piece, as paint does when long years cause it to erode, or would he just fade away all together like how the shadows of the earth does once the sun has finally set? Either way still made my heart swell and ache with a pain that I knew I'd always remember. Adam was one of the few people that I could say I actually trusted, but deep down I knew that it wouldn't matter anymore, unfortunately.

I pushed myself forward and came closer to him; I wanted to look him in the eyes to see his sincerity, but judging on how Adam found it difficult to look at my own and instead acted as if I wasn't there, I came to the conclusion that he was telling the truth. He'll never be in my life again.

The room was so quiet, I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to break the silence if Adam wasn't going to. The only sounds I was able to hear was the floor that creaked underneath my feet and my own breath, which increased with each anxious thought that raced through my mind. "Why?" my voice was small and shook when I spoke. I swallowed nervously afterward, but it was painful while I still held a knot in my throat. "Why would... why does that have to happen?"

He finally tore his gaze from outside and willed himself to look at me. He was about to say something but hesitated once he saw that my eyes glistened with tears. I felt as if they would fall at any given moment.

"Dawn..." Adam said slowly and then stopped, seeming as if he was thinking of good way to explain things to me. "I understand how you might feel... and in all honesty, this isn't easier for me than it is for you. However, despite how either of us feel, the sole reason for me coming to you was to point you to God. We became friends in the process and I'm so glad about that and wouldn't take it away for the world, but once we return to our places in the universe, please understand that our friendship has to end for that amount of time. It has nothing to do with you or I, it's just how things work." He was careful with his words, but it was then when I blinked, causing my tears to finally roll down my face. I tried to wipe them away as I looked to the floor but they kept on coming.

"Please don't cry, Dawn. I don't want to remember our last time together as something to mourn about. I loved our time together. It's been such a great experience and certainly one I won't forget. Truly," he added, trying to cheer me up a little but it was in vain. "I wish there was another way, but I'm a spirit and it's best if I stay within my realm. Imagine if the spirit world intertwined with the physical, don't you think things would get out of hand?—especially since that there are evil creatures that also dwell within the domain."

I looked up at him while also biting my trembling lip. "I know, but I still don't want you to go. Why can't you just... I don't know... why won't-" I was at a loss of words on what exactly to say, so frustrated, I just blurted out, "Why does this feel like another death I have to endure? One moment we were having a good time, laughing and joking around. . . but in the next I'm told that all that has to end. This is just like what happened between my father and I."

I turned my eyes away from him with my brows furrowed and arms crossed, only to be met with the depressing view of outside. It only saddened my mood, but I'd rather stare off into the black dirt than to avert my eyes back to Adam.

After a long moment he said, "Look at me." His words sounded tender but I ignored him, that is, until his hand took a gentle hold of my arm and spun me to face him. "Listen, I don't always have to be absent from your life. We can be reunited once again, in heaven, once the One who gave you breath calls you to come home. Look at it in that way. I believe it's an easier way of thinking about it."