Chapter 57

A/N: Hey guys, here's another chapter! And, yes, I know it's been so long. I'm sorry, It's not on purpose, but anyways, I hope you enjoy it and please do me a favor by voting and commenting.

I love knowing what you guys think about each chapter, but if you don't want to, then you don't have to.

God bless.

______________

On the way to the hospital felt like a dream; it constantly had me asking myself if what was happening before me was true. Did I seriously find Dawn unconscious in a church's graveyard? Was I really sitting in an ambulance while someone questioned me and another worked on the girl in the white gown? Was this actually happening?

An EMT asked questions about Dawn, like what her name was, why she had blood on her face, if she had any health issues they should know about, who I was to her, her age, if I knew the reason why she went outside in the rain if she knew it could badly deteriorate her illness, etc. I answered the young man's questions with the best of my ability, but since I didn't know the last one, I shrugged and just told him that I didn't know. I didn't know and it killed me inside because maybe if I had known of her tendencies, then I could've helped her. I could've protected her from herself.

It was quite cool in the vehicle, but I noticed sweat trickling down my back; and then, all of the sudden, my mind slowly went blank, my heart raced, and my breathing shook with each breath I released. I almost felt like my body was going to give and pass out from the uncertainty of whether she'd live or die. It was too much for my anxious mind to handle. But thankfully, the paramedic that's been talking to me, noticed that I wasn't responding normally and made me lie down. He told his partner that I was showing symptoms of shock as he took my blood pressure.

“Hey, are you okay?” he asked with a clear voice, mildly shaking me. “Sir, do you know where you are?”

He repeated himself once again before I was able to finally process his words and told him that I was in an ambulance. He then asked if I felt like I should also see a doctor as soon as we reached the hospital, but I refused and explained that my head was foggy because I was just stressed about the obvious situation.

I went through a mild panic attack. It wasn't a big deal; it's not like I've never had one before or was foreign from the way it made my body feel. I was used to it.

The man asked if I was sure then reminded me that my blood pressure was a bit high and that my skin looked pale. Annoyed with his probing, I told him to stop wasting time on me when he should be assisting his partner with Dawn, but he told me that this was a part of protocol—that questions were necessary to ask. But he stood and walked away after that and quickly came over again to only hand me a bottle of water.

I thanked him in my heart as I drank it thirstily, with dribbles of water running down the corners of my mouth. I hadn't had any water since the morning and it was mid-afternoon.

As I watched the EMTs work on Dawn, I knew that this moment wouldn't be forgotten. I was sure to have another intangible scar, that would be deeply embedded inside my heart. I was scared; and I was even more so when one of them said to the other that her breathing was shallow and suggested that she should be intubated. However, that was when the car stopped. We've arrived at the hospital and I was relieved because if I couldn't even take seeing Dawn get pricked with needles, how much worse would I have been if I witnessed them placing a tube down her throat? I wouldn't last two minutes.

Once the ambulance doors were opened, they told me to get down first; I obeyed and they brought Dawn right after me. As we were hurrying to get inside the hospital, two nurses came out and rushed over to us. They wore navy blue uniforms and one of them had a pen and clip board in hand. There was also a third one that held the door for us.