Chapter 5

Taehyung's P.O.V

"Watch where you're going," I snapped at the girl.

She blinked as color crept into her cheeks. Her friend stood behind her, practically drooling. With one last glance, I turned to catch up with the guys. Guilt didn't really seem to take effect until I was walking beside Yoongi. Maybe I had been kind of rude, but I had a reason. My mood had been sour all day. Nerves did that to me. I thought about the girl who'd run into me. Rosy cheeks. That was the only thing I noticed. For a moment, I found myself thinking of what it would be like to be in her place. I wouldn't have to worry about the inevitable showcase. People wouldn't act like I wasn't human. No one would care about what I did. With a frown, I shook the thought away. My day just kept getting worse.

•••••••

"If I can get that note then you can!" Jimin complained to Jungkook.

"Well then why can't you just do it?"

"This was the part you were assigned, so please just do your best!" Yoongi told Jungkook.

"I can't do my best when I can't even get that note!" He argued.

"You can get it, you're just not trying!" Jimin rolled his eyes.

"Calm down, everyone," Jin joined.

"Let's just take it from the top." Namjoon's voice rose louder than the rest.

With begrudging looks and sighs, everyone quieted down as we started again. I didn't know how many times we'd "taken it from the top"; I'd lost count at six. After a long discussion, we decided to sing "I Need U" for the showcase. It was one we were confident with and one of our favorites. But today, we were all in irritated moods, most likely because of our two week deadline.

"Okay stop, let's just stop!" I called, interrupting Hoseok's rapping piece.

"Yah!" He yelled.

"I can't be the only one who thinks this just sounds wrong," I insisted, ignoring his protests.

"He's right," Jungkook said.

"We just need more energy," Jimin explained.

"Something we've run out of," I told them.

"Fine. let's stop for today," Namjoon agreed.

•••••••

I walked home that night, feeling, despite the warm breeze and chirping bugs, anything but calm. I was on edge from lack of sleep and anticipation, of course, for the show. It was all I could think about. I was a wreck. I wished I could have more time till the show. It's not like I didn't want to do it. I just didn't want to do it in front of hundreds of people. I took in a shaky breath.

I hadn't always been like this. I used to always be the most excited about shows and things. But it all changed after that one performance. If only I'd been sick, or if only I'd just remembered the choreography. He was fine now. Junkook was fine now. But all of these "what ifs" floated around my mind whenever a performance neared.

I glanced at my watch. It was exactly 12:30 am. Already this late? I smiled a little. My birthday. December 30. I closed my eyes for a second. Feeling ridiculous, I tilted up my head.

"I wish I wasn't afraid," I told the sky.

I wish I wasn't afraid...