Chapter 32

Nabi's P.O.V

It was tedious and nerve wracking, but I managed to sneak by everyone until lunchtime. I had even escaped Rachel for the time being. Obviously, though, that wouldn't last. It didn't hit me until I was ducking down the hall to the cafeteria, that I had no idea what the outcome of the competition was. Who won? I stopped at the thought, curious. I looked around for any signs that indicated the champions and listened to the students scurrying by me for conversations about the night before. But nothing came up. It looked like I would have to ask someone.

"Where do you think you're going?" Rachel appeared behind me.

I jumped and shook my head.

"You scared me," I told her in annoyance.

"In this noisy hallway?" She asked.

"I was thinking."

"Yeah, me too. All morning long." She linked arms with me and continued down the hallway. "You need to finish telling me what you were going to say earlier."

"I know. I was going to tell you at lunch," I fibbed.

Maybe I had been hoping to quietly grab lunch and hide in the library.

"Sure you were," Rachel said. "Just tell me now."

I was silent.

"Come on, Nabi! Don't leave me hanging," she complained.

"Not here okay?" I took a paranoid glance at all of the people surrounding us.

"I'm gonna die in anticipation."

I froze, staring ahead. Rachel was forced to stop since we were still connected.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

I quickly ducked my head, trying to hide in the crowd. Trying not to be seen by V, who stood a few feet in front of us.

"Look, I'll meet you in the library, okay? Just grab lunch and come," I said.

Then I quickly pulled away and hurried down the hall, away from both of them. Not caring to turn back to see Rachel's reaction or if V had noticed me. When I got to the library, I dashed to one of the dusty corners and sat at one of the old tables. I laid my head down in exhaustion and in thought. You can't avoid them forever. I reminded myself.

Rachel arrived a few minutes later, scowling at me, lunch in hand.

"You've got to quit ditching me." She slapped the tray on the table.

"I know, but I saw...well, you'll understand in a sec," I told her.

"Okay, then. Tell me everything," she said in anticipation. "You and V are friends...which still doesn't make any sense to me. You've got to explain that, like seriously, I mean you! Friends with Kim Taehyung! I mean you're so...shy! Which isn't a bad thing, but you'd never talk to him! Plus, I thought you hated them! Well, I did, until you were suddenly telling me you actually did like them, and you even thought they were cute!"

There she went again. She babbled on, despite just informing me that she wanted me to do the talking. I slowly began to feel annoyed, and almost suffocated. Just tell her. Tell her. That was the whole reason I'd said anything in the first place. To tell her what was going on. What V had told me. I let out a deep breathe.

"V confessed to me," I blurted suddenly.

She stopped talking abruptly, staring at me. I watched her reaction as my words sunk in, slowly registering. Then she jumped up.

"Nabi!" She squealed, so loudly I had to jump up with her and clamp a hand on her mouth again.

But she peeled it off.

"You better not be joking Gam Nabi!" She said.

"I--I'm not," I said, almost in disbelief.

Disbelief that I wasn't joking, that he'd actually confessed. I sank back into my chair.

"This...this is amazing!" She cried.

"Shh!" I hissed.

"You and Kim Taehyung! A couple!" She sat back down with me in excitement. "My best friend dating the most popular guy in school! Well one of the most popular guys..."

"Rachel, you don't get it," I said before she could began rambling again.

"What are you talking about? What's not to get?"

This would be so much easier to explain if she knew what our relationship was like.

"I don't know what to do," I admitted.

"Wait. You didn't reject him...did you?" She had lowered her voice to a squeak.

I grimaced.

"Nabi...please tell me you didn't."

"Well...I didn't exactly reject him..." I said slowly. "But I didn't exactly tell him I liked him back, either."

I paused, chewing my lip.

"I sort of just left without saying anything."

She slapped her forehead against the table.

"Only you would do something so completely--"

"Look Rachel, you have no idea how I feel!" I cried, suddenly frustrated, she looked up in surprise. "Do you even care whether or not I like him? What if I don't have feelings for him? Would I still date him? Just because he's 'cute' and 'popular'? I'm not that superficial, you know."

"So you think I'm superficial!" She stood as well.

"Of course not! But you--you didn't even ask why I ran away! You didn't even ask if I actually like him back!" I said.

"Well...do you?" She asked, quieter.

We were both silent after that, not saying a word, just staring at each other. Do I?

"I...I don't know. I have no idea."

Taehyung's P.O.V

I sat with Namjoon in the shop, not eating, just staring at the plate in front of me. Lost in thought.

"Taehyung," Namjoon said.

I looked up at him, silent. He watched me, then grimaced, looking away.

"This is all my fault."

"Wait, what?" I asked.

"I was the one who told you to confess," he reminded me. "I practically insisted--"

"It doesn't really matter," I interrupted him. Telling her how I felt was the right thing to do, no matter the results. I can't hide my feelings forever."

We both descended into a thought-filled silence, until he spoke again.

"What are you going to do now?"

"I don't know." I ran a hand though my hair. "I really don't know."