Chapter 4

My eyes traveled around the neat office, taking in the bookcase in the back and the large structure on his desk. I squinted as I took a closer look, admiring how precise it was. Someone with skilled hands had to have done this.

"Your brother-in-law is helping me finish this in time for my anniversary." I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

"You're allowing an inmate to be free in here unattended?" I asked, sitting down in the seat in front of his desk. The warden sat down behind the desk and nodded.

"We both know Michael is a good man and that he means no harm. Plus, I can surprise my wife with something nice and different this year." He said, smiling at the picture of his wife. A small smile creeped onto my face as I thought of mine and Lincoln's anniversaries. "How long have you and Lincoln been married?" Pope asked.

"Seventeen years." I whispered. His eyes widened at my answer.

"Seventeen years!? B-but you're so young." I breathed out a laugh, agreeing with him.

"Yeah, I was eighteen when we got married. Kinda foolish of me, but you know how young love is." I stopped before I started to go into my life story. He didn't need to know anything about my life besides what was written on paper. "So, uh, why am I in here?" I wondered. Pope folded his hands and leaned forward.

"As you may know, Lincoln has been scheduled to be executed in three weeks time." My chest started to hurt just hearing those words again. I nodded. "Would you like to be one of the people in the viewing room? There won't be a lot of people. Just you, Michael, a lawyer, a few reporters, and a doctor." I took a moment before answering. I would see my husband die right in front of me, and I couldn't do a damn thing about it.

"Yeah, sure. Put my name down." I told him and he took out a list and wrote my name down. "Warden?" He looked up. "Thank you for assigning me my own cell. I really appreciate it." I thanked him and a warm smile appeared on his face.

"No problem, my dear. These boys here are ruthless and it would basically be your death sentence if I put another man who was not your husband in the same cell as you." For a little while longer, we discussed meals, tier time, yard time, and even PI.

If I showed that I was a hard worker and that I could be trusted, I could end up working and getting paid. It wouldn't be much, but it was something. He looked at his watch and stood up. I stood up with him and shook his extended hand.

"It was nice chatting with you. It's lunchtime, so you will be taken straight to the cafeteria." Pope said. He called for a guard and I smiled at the warden before leaving his office. He was a very nice guy and if I played my cards right, I could have him like putty in my hands.

"Let's go." The guard grabbed my arm and led me to the other side of the prison, but I stopped him before we could go any further.

"Is it okay if I change my shirt?" I asked, putting a pout on my face. "I won't be long, I promise. I just don't want to be in baggy stuff like this, you know?" The guard's eyes traveled down my body and he nodded.

"You have five minutes." I nodded and he took me to my cell, un-cuffing me so that I could do what I had to do. I didn't have any other clothes, but I was going to transform the ones I had on. I took off the blue shirt and white shirt that was under it. I was totally exposed, but it wasn't anything I wasn't used to. Plus, no one was in here except the guard, who had his back towards me.

I used a shank I found under the top bunk and cut the long sleeves off of the shirt, turning it into a tank top. Then I cut the bottom of it shorter and ripped open the sides. I cut the sides again in a different direction so that I could tie the front and the back together. When I was done, the shirt looked like it had been designed somewhere other than a prison, it was that good. The sides had knots going all the way down and when I put the shirt on, it hugged my curves. It reached to the top of my belly button just the way I wanted it. I kept the pants the way it was because it complimented the shirt.

"Okay, I'm done." I called out and when the guard turned around, he almost choked on his spit. His eyes were glued to my chest, especially since the white top left nothing to the imagination. My nipples were pierced and I was surprised that I wasn't told to take them out, like they did with the rest of my piercings.

"Uh, I have to take you to the, uh, kitchen." He stumbled on his words as I walked out the cell, flipping my hair over my shoulder.

"Lead the way." I smiled at him and he blinked rapidly before walking me to the cafeteria area. I knew we were close because I could hear the inmates yelling and laughing loudly. He didn't even remember to put my handcuffs back on. When I entered the cafeteria, all eyes turned to me. I ignored all of them and walked up to the area where I would be getting my food. There was no line, so I got my food pretty quickly. As I was looking for a place to sit, a group of black guys walked up to me, grinning like a bunch of idiots.

"Yo, snowflake. Whatchu got on yo plate?" The tallest one asked. He had on a white du-rag and he was the lightest of the bunch. I rolled my eyes.

"The same thing you had on yours." I snapped, trying to walk by. The one in the front, who I guessed was the leader, shot his arm out, preventing me from going anywhere. He was bald with neat facial hair and he obviously worked out because he was pretty big.

"Hey, hey, hey where you going? Don't you know you owe us something?" He asked, biting his lip. I assessed the situation quickly. There were five of them and so far only two of them were actually speaking. That meant they were the backbones of the group and the rest were just the fists. They were all pretty big, the leader being one of the shortest, but was still taller than me.

"Move out my way." I said calmly and the guys laughed. The leader came closer to me, eyeing me up and down.

"Look, sweetheart. Everyone that comes in here gives us their dessert when we want it, so I suggest you cough yours up, pronto." He whispered firmly.

"Well I suggest you cough yours up and eat it again because that's the only way you're getting another dessert." The leader frowned and snapped his fingers. Before I could do anything about it, one guy took my tray and then other quickly grabbed me from behind, his large fingers wrapping around my arms. I didn't panic because I expected something like this to happen.

"C-note, you gone let this bitch talk to you like that?" The light skin guy asked and the leader, C-note, chuckled and rubbed his hands together.

"Nah man. She's gonna get what she deserves for talking to me like that." He walked up to me and grabbed my chin. "I gave you a chance to give me what I wanted, but since you don't wanna listen, I'll make you an example to anyone who tries to do what you just did." Before he could throw a punch my way, I used the guy that was holding me to pull myself up and kick C-note in the chest. As he stumbled into his men, I kicked my leg back and came in contact with the guy's jewels behind me and he let go for a second, which was enough time for me to turn around and smash my fist into his face. He fell to the floor, holding his nose and the others hesitated.

"Don't ever touch me again." I threatened, grabbing my tray from the guy who took it. I walked past them and spotted Michael and Sucre sitting with some other guys. Everyone was staring at me as I sat down by my brother-in-law, who was staring at me like I had grown another head.

"You're just asking to be a target, dressed like that and having beef with guys like that." He pointed over his shoulder at the guys that harassed me. They were giving me the evil eye, but didn't come after me again. I shrugged and started eating.

"If I want to get what I want, I have to use everything to my advantage, hence, dressing like this. You men are so deprived, if you see a part of my back, you'll do anything I say just to touch it." I said, laughing. Michael rolled his eyes when he saw the other guys at the table staring at me lustfully. "Who are your friends?" I asked.

"I don't have any friends. I need to talk to you about something after lunch, in the yard." He said, packing up his stuff.

"About what?" I asked, quickly finishing the small portions I was given. He stood up and looked down at me.

"You'll see."