Chapter 11

The next day, after taking a nice long shower, they let us four in solitary go out to the yard. It was the section I usually just stared at when I was on the other side and I was happy that I could be on the same side as Lincoln.

"Hey, mind taking off our cuffs so I can ball with my girl?" Lincoln asked. The guard looked at us and took out his key.

"Don't kill each other." He muttered, unlocking our cuffs. I rubbed my wrists and smiled at Lincoln, who returned the smile.

"You ready?" He asked, bouncing the basketball as we made our way to the court. I jogged backwards and held my arms out.

"I was born ready, baby." I said and Lincoln ran towards me, bouncing the ball hard. I stepped forward, but he turned around, ball in hand, and dunked.

"Whooo! Now that's how it's done." He shouted, pumping his fists in the air. I placed my hands on my hips and he walked towards me, excitement on his face.

"That's not fair." I argued. Lincoln scoffed.

"What? Nah, Mel. I think that was pretty fair. Wasn't that a nice dunk, though?" He asked, a grin splitting his face. I rolled my eyes playfully and grabbed the ball from him. He reached out to take it back, but I held my hand up.

"Uh, uh, uh. Not so fast, tiger. If we're gonna play this, we do it the right way." Lincoln pursed his lips.

"Fine. Always so bossy." He muttered, taking his place in front of me. I bounced the ball and he bounced it back, and I bounced it to him one more time and we started the game. I won the first game and he won the second. By our third game, we were both sweating and breathing hard, but I wasn't finished.

"Alright, babe, one more shot left in this game. Do you think you can handle being beat by little ole me?" I asked, circling around Lincoln with the ball in my hand. He chuckled as I made my way back to face him and shrugged.

"That depends on if I'm actually going to be beat by you." I raised my eyebrows titled my head to the side.

"Good point. Let's find out." We rushed towards each other and I dodged him, circling back around since he blocked my shot. With the ball still in hand, I drove around him and just when I leaped up to shoot, Lincoln grabbed my ass and I was so startled, that I let go of the ball. He took this opportunity to grab the ball and shoot a three pointer, nothing but net.

"Yeah!" He did a little happy dance and I stormed over to him, punching his arm.

"You cheated!" Lincoln smirked and looked down at me, biting his lip.

"Baby, that's not cheating. That's taking advantage of a situation." I frowned and pushed him back. "Hey, hey, chill." He held his hands up, but I launched myself at him, tackling him to the ground. We rolled into the grass and he came out on top of me, both of us breathing hard.

"Cheater." I muttered, my heart rate increasing from the position we were in. His face was serious and his green eyes searched my light blue ones, and I let my eyes roam his face, memorizing it all over again. I lifted a hand slowly and cupped his face, letting my thumb rub his cheek.

"I think I like this position very much." He joked, his deep voice sending shivers down my spine. My eyes flickered down to his lips, my mind going south.

"So do I." I whispered as he leaned down. When our lips touched, I felt a fire ignite in my belly and my eyes closed, loving the familiar feel of his kiss. His fingers threaded through my hair as he deepened the kiss and my hands slid to his chest, feeling the hard planes of his muscles through his shirt. We broke apart, our breathing uncontrollable. He placed his forehead on mine and I smiled. "I think we should get up now or else-"

"I agree." Linc said, cutting me off. He pressed his lips to mine one last time before he pulled away and helped me up. I dusted myself and fixed my hair before grabbing Lincoln's hand and pulling him towards me. I looked up at him and I wiped a streak of mud off his jaw.

"I love you, Linc. Always have, always will." I said softly and he closed his eyes and brought my hand to his lips.

"I love you, too." He answered and then looked over my shoulder. His eyes hardened and he brought me close. "Looks like we have an audience." He said and I turned to see a bunch of guards whispering and staring at us. They seemed to have seen everything that went on and I frowned. Pigs.

"Let's go lovebirds. Time to head back." One of them shouted. We were silent on the way back to our cells, but I liked it. It was a comfortable silence. When we reached our cells, the guard stopped me.

"You're being released back into gen pop now. If you have anything, grab it and let's go." He told me. My eyes lit up and I turned to Lincoln, who didn't seem to have a reaction to the news. I walked to him and wrapped my arms around him.

"I'm gonna help get you out of here. I promise." I whispered for only his ears to hear. He nodded and I kissed his cheek before turning to leave. As the guard led me back to gen pop, I felt an emotion I hadn't felt in a long time. I didn't know what it was, but it made me determined to get Lincoln out as soon as possible.

"Good, you're back. I need to give you the run down on what's going to happen from here on out." Michael said, as soon as I had settled back into my cell. I nodded and followed him into his cell next to mine.

"Hey Fernando." I greeted Sucre, who was laying on the top bunk, and he smiled.

"'Sup, chica." Michael went to the sink and an object caught my attention. I squinted and walked towards it, picking it up. It was the shank I got for Abruzzi a few days ago. I knew it was the exact one because of the marking on the handle.

"Michael, where did you get this?" I asked, turning to face him.

"What?" He looked up from what he was doing and he paused when he saw what was in my hand. "I can explain." I raised my eyebrows and scoffed.

"Explain away, captain."

"I needed this to finish a part of the plan, but I didn't have the means to do it. So I asked Abruzzi and-"

"And you basically set me up so that he could hire me and get me to do what he wanted. Is that it?" I asked, getting angry. "I could've gotten killed for what I did and all because you couldn't get it yourself? Abruzzi never does anything without a deal, so what offer did you give him?" Michael looked away for a second.

"Freedom." He said quietly. My jaw ticked.

"What?" I said lowly, not believing what I just heard.

"Uh oh." I heard Sucre mumble.

"You're willing to risk this entire thing by adding another person?" I almost shrieked and Michael shushed me.

"It's only one more person and plus we can use all the help we can get." I scoffed.

"Yeah, you sure will need all the help you can get, because I'm out." With that, I stormed away, wanting to be anywhere but there.