Chapter 29

"Charles, what happened?" I asked, rushing to his side. He didn't fight me when I moved his hand and saw a very deep and jagged wound in his belly. "Oh my god."

"Bellick had found the hole." Charles rasped. "He used a hammer and smashed it back open. He was about to leave when I went in there and we got into a big fight. I knocked him out, but not before he got me good." His face was very pale, indicating that he had lost a lot of blood. For a man of his age, losing that much blood could result in death.

"Where's Bellick now?" I asked, grabbing a shirt and ripping it. I pressed the rest of the shirt against his wound and used the scraps to tie it around him securely, stopping some of the blood from flowing out.

"Down under, in the hole, tied up. He ain't getting out no time soon. But we need to hurry before people start to realize he's missing." he said. I helped him wash his hands and mine and I made sure there wasn't a trace of blood left.

"We need to tell the others so-"

"No!" Charles gripped my hand tightly and my eyes widened. "They will leave me behind and I can't let that happen. My daughter is dying in the hospital and I have to see her." My heart squeezed and I nodded, helping him up.

"Can you walk?" I asked. He took a few steps and sighed deeply before walking out with me. He had a little limp, but other than that, he looked fine. But I knew he wasn't, so I was going to keep an eye on him during this escape. When we got upstairs, I saw a white blanket covering Michael and Sucre's cell and the only one out there was Abruzzi. He slipped in and Westmoreland and I stood by his cell, making sure the coast was clear before entering.

The sink was wide open and the only people left in the cell was Abruzzi, me, Charles, and Michael.

"Alright, John you're next." Michael said and Abruzzi slid through, disappearing. I pushed Westmoreland forward, wanting him to go next. He took is time and grimaced when he bent over to go through the hole. It wasn't very obvious to other people, but I noticed right away. I went and helped him down and his eyes shone with gratefulness. I smiled and nodded. I looked up at Michael.

"This is it." I said. He looked around his cell and patted the bed.

"This is it." he repeated. I slid and hopped down to where the rest of the guys were. They were staring in awe at the pipes and I knew they didn't think the pipes looked cool. They were just excited that they were no longer in their cells. Michael hopped down and led the way.

"How in the world did you navigate these rusty ole' pipes?" T-bag asked, gazing at the different pathways.

"Magic." Michael answered, making us all laugh. Our laughs echoed and we could hear guards talking and walking. After some time, we ended up underneath an opening, with stairs leading up. "You guys stay here and I'll be right back."

"Where you going?" Abruzzi asked, but Michael had already left. I looked over at Charles and I saw him clutch his side and breath deeply. While the others were talking, I walked over to him and put my hand on his shoulder.

"How are you feeling?" I whispered. Beads of sweat was dripping down his face and I used my sleeve to wipe it away.

"I'll be fine. Don't worry about me." he said, chuckling weakly. I was worrying because I could see that the makeshift bandage I made was getting soaked with blood. Suddenly, an alarm pierced the air and we all froze.

"Aw shit. We're done for." C-note said, looking through the opening. We were about to make a run for it, but then Michael came back, scaring us since he was in a guard's uniform.

"Sorry guys. I had to activate the fire alarm in the psych ward so they can come out." I stilled my racing heart, breathing a sigh of relief. "Time to strip." We took off our clothes and left the white uniform on.

"Don't scare us like that again, papí." Sucre said, pretending to faint. Michael smiled and looked through the opening. The psych ward patients were on the grass, waiting for the fire alarm to stop. When it did, Michael removed the top and climbed up the stairs.

"Come on, come on." He hurried us through the hole, just as the patients were leaving. We followed them, trying to blend in and when we got in the building, a skinny man stopped us.

"Hey man. That's John Abruzzi." he said, pointing a shaky finger in John's direction. We all looked at each other with wide eyes.

"I guess we're going to need something to, uh, keep him down." Michael said, and the guy smiled and pulled out a needle.

"This will knock him out immediately."

"Great." Michael took the needle and stuck it in the guys neck. He fell the floor in a heap and Michael dropped the needle. "Let's go." He led us through the psych ward, and the inmates were making weird noises. I didn't look at any of them and I held my breath because the stench was terrible. We made it back to the main prison and Michael stopped us, holding a finger to his lips. There was a guard patrolling the floor and when he turned his back, Michael and Sucre hurried across. This continued until all of us were successfully across.

I saw Charles breathing hard and I stayed behind to make sure he made it. He looked worse than before, his face pale as a ghost.

"We're almost there." I whispered and he only nodded, his haggard breathing the only thing he seemed to be focused on. Michael went the the infirmary door and looked at us.

"Better hope the doc came through." T-bag muttered. Michael twisted the doorknob and it opened. I cheered silently, thanking Sara in my head. I owed her. We hurried in and saw a guard next to Lincoln, who was handcuffed to the bed. The guard held his hands up when he saw all of us.

"Take whatever you want. I don't care. I won't stop you." he said and T-bag smiled and walked over to him, licking his lips.

"Uncuff the man." he ordered and the guard did what he was told. When Lincoln was free, he walked over to me and I smiled at him.

"Ready to leave this place?" I asked. He cupped my face and planted a kiss on my lips.

"I was born ready." he answered. We heard a gurgling noise an we turned to see that T-bag had killed the guard.

"Are you crazy!?" Michael shouted. "He didn't need to die!"

"He's a guard. He was going to talk eventually." T-bag said, wiping his hands clean. A noise came from behind of us and I saw Sucre's big-boned cousin walk in.

"I'm here like you told me, Michael." I narrowed my eyes and looked at Michael.

"Are you serious? You were about to get on me for bringing Tweener aboard, but you already brought more people?" I asked Michael and he just shrugged. I rolled my eyes and dropped it. Michael clapped his hands together, getting everyone's attention.

"Who's ready to escape Fox River?"